1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$f250 / propane?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by scrib, Jul 19, 2003.

1. scrib

scrib Junior Member
    from 55088

Hello everyone I am looking at a 93 Ford f250 regular cab 4x4 with a 351 and it has 151000 miles on it. It has brand new steeltex tires on it and a large metal type box in the back with a lift gate on the back. It is a different kind of box again it is like a metal fence, it is not solid. the body does not show any rust but is well worn. the interior is a little worn nothing out of the ordinary for those kind of miles. The truck used to be a US Gov. truck and used to run on propane and has been converted to gas. The dealer who has it is asking 3995 for it I am a little leery about the propane deal. And how tough will it be to find a plow for this? Thanks for any help here.
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

First of all I can tell you that finding a plow for a 1993 F250 should not be difficult at all. But I will tell you that when I saw that you mentioned that it was an ex-government fleet vehicle I got a little bit weary as to the condition of the truck as a whole. Just remember that the 151,000 miles are surely hard miles put on by many different drivers driving styles. The truck could be beat mechanically so make sure to have a mechanic give it a good once over. Also check out the tanks those truck are notorious for having the tanks rott out especially if it has the dual tanks installed.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I have a 1994 F-250 with the 351. I have just over 218,000 miles and still running strong. Mine came from a construction outfit and I'm sure it got beat on quite a bit.
    I had to put a tranny in it a few weeks back for $1700.00, the 4 speed e40d. I changed the oil last week and it was several miles over due and wasn't low at all.

As far as being propane powered I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Everyone tells me that propane burns so much cleaner than gasoline, it makes them last so much longer.
    Maybe check the oil pan too, they are known to rust out.

Good luck,
    Mark K
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

speedracer made some excellent points,like the oil pan (not fun),and that propane runs so clean the engine is probably in very good shape.

I have found most government equipment sees lots of regular PM,so they tend to be in better shape than most vehicles.Check it out and see.

It's a very popular truck,so a plow will be no problem,