1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Plug in?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAMSLandscaping, Jan 20, 2006.

1. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

Ive got a 2000 F250 gasser, and when i was puttin on my new grille i found a 3 prong plug to plug the truck in to 110 house current... ive never seen this on a gas engine before? what exactly is it for? it may be a dumb question but any input would be good.. thanks!

PS Look in the pictures forum for the pics of my truck and the new grille.

2. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

It is most liklyan oil heater or coolent heater.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Do you know if you have a block heater? If you do, that is probably the power source for it.

4. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

Im Not really sure. i bought the truck used and the dealer got it through auction. So they didnt know much about the truck either.. lol the guy at the dealer didnt even know how to take the plow off for a test drive... i wanted it on anyways. how would i tell if i have a block heater?

5. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Trace the cord back to the source you have some type of heater installed.

6. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

i tryed yesterday. it seemed to go back to a big cluster of wires. ill look again today and see what i can find. maybe ill just plug it in and see what happens. is this somthing that would come standard or would someone have added it?

7. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

Option

I think they are a factory option.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I think most of the F-250's and 350's on up have plugs on them regardless of being gas or diesel. Thats kinda what I took it as reading through my owners manual when I bought my truck. I think it just keeps the engine and everything warm for easier starts and such. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

9. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

it is a block heater, it is optional on the Ford gassers, One of the guys I work with always orders his new trucks with them.

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

They only come with them if the dealer orders them. I bought an 05 F-350 diesel from a dealer in Mass and never even gave it a thought till I got it home and went to pull it out and it wasn't there. Called the salesman and he said they they could install one but they are not standard on any of the F-series.

11. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Block heaters are an option, but in many northern areas the dealers order them on every truck. I walked through a Ford new car lot in North Dakota, and it seemed like every new car and truck had been ordered with a block heater. Its a cheap option, and its easier to just get it factory installed.

Bruce

12. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Big Dog D- Nice fleet of equipment you have there!
    IIRC the diesels come from IH with the block heater already in the block. The Ford option just installs the cord onto the heater. Since you have the 6.0 look around the passenger side front frame horn, or up behind the right headlight. the 6.0's have the block heater on the passenger side of the block. If no cord, then all you sould need to buy is the cord, plug it into the heater and run it up front. The 7.3's have the block heater just above where the oil filter screws onto, and the cord is run up the drivers side frame rail to about where the tow hook is. All the OBS trucks I have had, all had the block heater so I assume it was standard on them.
    Like was already said Ford did offer the block heater as an option on the gassers I had it on my 89 300/6.

13. PAplowman

PAplowman Member

Its an engine block heater. Apparently your truck was built for, and delivered to a Northern climate. Ford will put heaters in gas trucks, and diesels when they are headed to the great white north.:nod:

14. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

yep. Thats right block heater for us northern guys. It's kinda nice to plug it up and it seems to keep the cab a little bit warmer. I know sometimes when its really old it takes a few more cranks to start and I can definitely say this option has helped

15. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

Here In Alaska We Use Block Heaters, Coolant Heaters And Battery Warmers All The Time. Sure Makes It Nice To Start Up About 2:30 A.m. In -20 Conditions. They Also Save Greatly On Extra Wear And Tear To The Engine Due To Thickened Fluids.

16. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yep, you've got yourself a block heater. Standard equipment on any truck or car sold here in Minnesota, gas or diesel. In fact I've only ever seen one vehicle without one and that was about 20 years ago on my girlfriends (now wife) Buick Regal. I ended up installing an oil pan heater and it worked okay, but nothing beats the engine block heater you have. You can go out and start that truck in -40 below weather and it'll start up just like it had been driven 5 minutes before. Also you'll get heat into the cab much quicker when you use the block heater. Good luck with the truck...just don't forget to unplug the cord before leaving.:blush2:

Buck

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006