1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 or F350 and other questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by extremerider44, Jun 7, 2004.

1. extremerider44

extremerider44 Junior Member

Hey guys just wanted to say i started plowing last year with my uncle well got a new job this year doing plumbing and heating form my moms friend he runs a snow plow business during the winter So he is letting me use one of his trucks for a while

but i want to start my own snow plow company myself see one of my uncles past away couples months ago we were best friends i was crush when he past away i have work for him since i was the age of 13 buy doing odd jobs and working for him for on vactions and for the summer he did masonary work and own his own company I am now 22 years old

well comes to find out a couple of weeks ago he left in his will a substantial amount of money to me for helping him all those years he was not married and had no kids just a hard working man who lived by himself could not belive it So i am putting some of the money to good use to start my business and investing the rest of it for myself so i can use it for probbaly buying a house anyway enough my rambling i need help on questions and what to buy to help me grow my business

an 99 to 03 F250 or F350
    V10 or diesal need to be able to pull alot of weight?

I love the fisher plows espcically the silver one they have do not know the name of it any one help me on that ?

looking into to getting a used bobcat and a trailer what model should i get ?

looking into getting a 04 yamaha grizzly with plow and spreder on the back

Also looking into to getting 2 brand new snow blowers which ones shold i pick up?

any help ideas opinions would really help me guys sorry for such a long thread i appericate any real help u could give me thanks for your help guys

Nick

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

First of all, carefull about spending all that new found money. The silver plow you are talking about is the stainless steel fisher x-blade.I have had three regular style fishers, pretty tough plows. About the truck, I have had three f-350 dumps. One diesel, one v-10,one 460 v-8(don't even want to talk about it)Either has plenty of pulling power. Both get horrible mileage plowing, about 4mpg gas, 6-7 with the diesel, maybe better in a pickup but nothing to write home about. The weak link in these trucks seems to be the transmissions. The 99' with a diesel had three in 50k miles. My current 02' with the v-10 and only 8k has the original trans but, the trans. heats up very quickly when plowing. After about 10-15 minutes of hard plowing and the trans. temp gauge shoots up to the red zone. Have to stop and let it cool down.My dealers only solution, plow in low range(yeah right).My solution, next truck will be another chevy. Two half tons, lots of hard commercial plowing, no major problems yet. Just a few things to think about. Good luck.Oh, if you want a nice f-350 dump, with fisher mm2 plow and all still on warranty, have I got the truck for you...

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I think you just spent 70k i would get a new used 250 or 350 diesel and you the like mm2 stainless steel blade the x blade great as far as snowblowers,skidsteers,atv's that stuff can be had used you should lay out ur customers prvt and commerical to see what the projected outlook is i would keep cash on hand just in case fund

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

First I would say dont try to start out too big!!! Start 50 times smaller than you think you can handle. All kindsa things pop up that you would never dream of running a biz.

Might want to pick out a tax man now and talk with him. Maybe the guy your uncle was using?

Also with the blowers and skidsteer and 4wheeler you are now talking about needing employees/subs.

A 4wheeler is only good for larger sidewalks that are associated with bigger comercial stuff. I personaly like fisher stuff and think a V can be very helpfull depending on the type of plowing you will do. Also I hope you are just planning on salting walks with it and not lots.
    Also why are you looking for a bobcat? if its just to push snow I wouldnt go that wroute yet. It needs to be used the rest of the year to be productive $$$ wise. Out of all the skidsteers I have ran I will say that the 9 series bobcat is a freaking tank! but its kinda larg to be usefull alot of times. The 8 series is a nice size. I really like the stability of the 864(tracked version) now they call em by different names but used ones are probably going by the 753 8xx yada yada yada. Like I said the rubber tracked skidsteers are nice and stable and they dont tear up established turff as bad.

I would go diesel but I would stay away from the newer 6.0 fords. Cummins is a great motor but dodge tranys seem to get pissed off pretty easy. The new Chevy duramax is a great truck IMO and the only real problems(injectors in the early modles) is now covered by a 7 year 200k warantee. My allison dosnt mind my 9'6" fisher V or even embarassing turbo eclipses at stoplights ;)

feel free to ask away :) or email me if ya want

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would stay away from chevys, the duramax has problems and the front cant handle the weight. :D :D The 05 superduty has a 250K warranty.
    That aside, go with whatever truck you like best. they all have problems.
    That is alot of equiptment and toys to get all at once. Get a truck, and plow, plow for a year and then go from there. :):)

6. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

I had a 2000 F350 V10 with a 8 foot western ploy pro, it was a great plow truck it had great power it just sucked up the gas, This year I bought a 04 F350 diesel it has unbelievable power and gets great gas mileage.

7. ratlover

from IL

Hmmm....my truck carrys a 9'6" fisher V blade just fine. How much bigger of a freaking blade do you need??? My "weak" IFS front suspention also handles my 425hp duramax doing 4x4 launches with boost on pavment. SFA may be stronger but I havent reached the limits if my IFS yet.

The Duramaxs "engine" problems is almost exclusivley the injectors of the earlier models. Chevy just increased the warantee of the injectors of the earlier models up to 200k. The motor is still the same 100k

7.3 is a good relaible motor(although a bit doggy) The 6.0 just seems pretty failure prone. Not the bottom end, international has been running the 6.0 just fine, its when Ford went and redisigned all the stuff hanging off of it to theri specs, seems the stuff bolted on is a bit fickle.

8. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

I have nothing against chevy diesel trucks a lot of my friends have them, I also had a 1992 chevy diesel truck and I had nothing but problems with it, but different years and motors. I can not say I have seen one with a 9"6 V on it that pretty amazing I did not think you could put anything bigger than an 8"2 V on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, If you can hell I will get one for my FORD F 350.

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

The comment about the "weak" ifs front suspension is bull. I have plowed commercialy for the last four or five years with chevy half tons. No problems what so ever, even when my 7.5 fisher was out of service for a few stoms and I had to use my 9' mm2. Actually, it handled it better than the ford 1-ton it was purchsed for. I hate to turn this into a chevy verses ford forum but after three ford one-tons and lots of problems compared to three chevys with very few problems(and a lot more overall miles) I feel I have the right to complain a bit.

10. ratlover

from IL

I actually believe you can put a bigger blade up front of a chevy diesel with simmilar bed/cab configs acording to fishers web site than you can a ford or dodge. It also depends on the motor you have and cab/bed config. Thats why I bought a reg cab, so I could run a bigger blade even with the diesel.

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

My 2 cents: I don't like FWD car drive axles in a truck. Now don't get me wrong, in addition to my 93 F150 I have a 97 Jimmy with a 6'8" Fisher but it is my daily driver and solely for a back up vehicle for my own driveway. I've had Fords since 79 starting out with a 61 F100 and had mostly Fords since with 1 Chevy and 1 Dodge in between. I like the Fords and am pretty convinced that is the only pick-up I will own. I am moving to an F250 next because in 97 Ford went to the GM FWD car axle set up. I think a live axle is better. The one thing nice about the Jimmy is the silky smooth ride, but I think a truck should ride like a truck.

jimmy.jpg

12. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

The picture doesn't show the pushplate because I had'nt installed it yet.

13. ratlover

from IL

So you have a problem with a nice ride as long as the truck is capable enough to get the job done? Interesting, but to each his own.

I'm happy with my "car":rolleyes: suspention.

Ford TTB isnt exactly known for its strenght. If your getting a Ford I would make sure it has a true solid front axel and not a TTB.

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

buy a FORD, Chevys are bad for your health and they just plan suck!!

FORD trucks rule!!!!!!

15. ratlover

from IL

I do have to agree, my Chevy is probably shaving years off my life. All that tire smoke/diesel smoke probably aint good! Oh well, I say Take a big wiff, it'll put hair on your lungs! :D LOL