1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f250 oil pan

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by asphalter1, Feb 24, 2003.

1. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

just saw a pin hole in my 1994 f250 4x4,(leaking oil )was wondering if anyone has ever changed one and how difficult. can motor be jacked up or does it have to come out?? any help would be great. Thanks Bill

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I did one last year on a 95 with a 351. There is a post on here about the job. It is not easy but can be done. Upper intake must be removed, exhaust removed, motor mounts undone, motor lifted all the way till it hits the firewall. Then you must remove the oil pan, reach in and undo the oil pump which will let the pan squeeze between the block and the cross member. Then the whole assembly must be reversed for installation. Took about 6 hours total work time.

Would be quicker if you had a helper. The right tools are a must and a manual is good to have. Also the exhaust studs and other bolts and such will likely need to be replaced.

Good Luck. E-mail me if you decide to take on the job and need some more advice.

3. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I did one on my 95' 150 before I got rid of it. I found it was easier to just take the motor out and do it quicky. Took me about 8-9 hrs to complete the job. Did yours rot out? I know mine did from the inside out if you can believe it, and best of all ford knows it is a problem, inferior metal they say.... Real BS

Rick

4. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Did mine about 4 months ago, 351/auto was pretty easy, but nerve racking, wondering if anything will break. I just disconnected some lines, fan shroud, undid motor mounts, and trans mount, unbolted L/S exhaust, and cut the pipe down further buy the trans, this was much easier for us to do than try and unbolt the R/S exhaust, when we put it together we sleeved it and welded it. We also used a lift, and a porter power off the floor on the pully to raise the motor.

Good luck:waving:

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Pin Hole Repair

Bill I get quite a few Fords in the shop with small rust holes in the pan each year, I will normally drain the oil and clean the area around the hole, then weld a patch over the rust hole. Some times the repair can be done with a "good" soldering gun and a quality solder. Make sure you give the repair a good coat of paint when your finished. Ford oil pans are quite pricey, so you may want to try and repair the pan first. :rolleyes: John

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

While they can be done in the truck,they are a major PITA.If it isn't repairable like Garagekeeper mentioned,I would recommend pulling the motor,and doing it right.You;ll get a much better seal on the oil pan gasket,and it's now easy to do anything else the motor may need while it's out.

7. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

oil pan

I want to thank all of you for your great advice and I'll let you know what route I take and the outcome,again thanks.

8. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I put a hole in mine this last blizzard, cleaned and sanded the area after I drained the oil, wiped it with acetone and applied JB Weld to the area.
    2 hours later put the oil back and "much better than new"
    I have to yank the motor to replace the pan.

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Ah yes,JB Weld,the farmers friend!I cannot begin to list the things i have fixed with Friggin JB Weld,and i am a Weldor!,the one that a buddy keeps talking about is a bearing race on his trailer,we searched high and low for a new hub but couldn't find anything for this particular POS!there was all sorts of slop in the race and the hub so for a couple bucks we picked up some JB Weld and "welded" her in!this was 5 years ago and he uses it everyday in the summer!Good stuff!