1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250/New to Forum

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Conepile, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Conepile

Conepile Junior Member

I've been surfing this site on and off for some time, and decided I wanted to explore the possibility of getting a plow. I regularly go to LawnSite.com (how I found this site), and understand the necessity of using the search feature. My questions are pretty simple, and I did find what I was looking for using the search engine. I know little (nothing) about plowing, and frankly we don't really get all that much snow here in Indianapolis, but I am still considering a purchase. I have a 2002 Ford 4x4 F250 crew cab with a short bed and the standard 5.4L V-8, and the plow prep (heavier springs).

- What should I look for in a plow/system, given the use would likely be relatively light?

- What questions should I be asking?

- What topics or keywords should I search for on this website?

- What size is appropriate for this vehicle?

- Other than this site, what are some good resources for learning more about plowing?

- Poly or steel?

- Any recommendations on where to start?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, Conepile. To start with - two questions:

1: What plow dealer is nearest you?
    2: Is there the potential for plowing commercially?

Size - probably 8' to cover the tire "track".

Other sites for snowplowing - SIMA. Otherwise, none.

Poly/steel? Your preference.

Check out "Vplow". You might do an Internet search for "snowplow" and check out the various brands (too many to try to list and I have no interest in a "Chevy/Ford/Dodge" debate).

What to look for? I'd suggest ease of hookup and maintenance. Also get the best plow possible if there is any chance you might plow commercially. That is not an area to try to "get by". Just like a lawn mower, there's no need to get a commercial model if you are only going to do your own. Generally speaking you "get what you pay for" in purchasing a new plow.

3. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I have a western 8" ploy pro on a Ford S/C with a 5.4

Went with Western becuse the other people I know that plow
    have been

And there a every common plow here in Michigan to get parts for

I really like the ultra Mount system
    In the summer you can hardly see it
    Plow also hooks up in less the 5 min.

the cab controls (hand held) are very nice also
    un plug in the summer and there's nothing left in the cab

If there was a bigger ploy I might have gone with it
    but 8' get's buy, it's easy to drive with if your in traffic

went with the ploy becuse I didn't what to paint the plow
    every 2 years or so, it was only a 100 more
    Well worth it to me

I spent 3,300 to have it installed

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to plowsite.

An 8 to 9 ft blade would be about right for a truck that size.Not like you'll be doing driveways with it,being that long.

A Fisher,Boss,Western or Snoway would work fine.I prefer the last two,but get something you will easily be able to get parts for.A V-blade would be an option too.nice for cleanup work.There are other mfg's as well,so do a search.

I would go with a steel blade.Stronger,and a little less money.The poly is actually heavier because the moldboard frame must be built heavier.Poly moldboard won't rust,but the rest of it will,just like any other steel blade.Poly moldboard is expensive to replace if you break,or damage it.

Start with some of the plow mfg's webistes,get some info,and check out the little programs they have to help select a plow for your truck.

www.fisherplows.com
    www.westernplows.com
    www.bossplows.com
    www.snoway.com

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

wyldman-"Not like you'll be doing driveways with it,being that long."
    What do you mean ?? i do driveways with mine and it's a long box.
    :waving:

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not that you can't,it just better suited to be used elsewhere.I do a few driveways with mine,but with the plow,club cab long box,and a salter in the back,it's a pain in the butt.

The truck is so long I have a hard time backdragging it into the street,and the driveway's aren't deep enough to back in and push it out.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

"I spent 3,300 to have it installed..."

Wow, they robbed you on the labor!! LOL. Mike :D

8. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Ok, the 3,300 was for every thing including having it installed

I just thought he might like to get a ball park of what a plow
    is going to cost

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, thats what I figured, just was making a funny. There is a good amount of sarcasm here, which I love and tend to add to. ;) Welcome to PlowSite! Mike

10. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Wouldn't go with anything less than a 8' plow. You'ld be surprised as to how much the extra 6" on the plow will make up on a parking lot. If you're gonna plow commercial i'ld look into a V plow if it's in the budget. Go around to different dealers, see what they have, how happy they are to explain things to you, and get a feel for their service if you can. Which ever is the best i'ld go with. Welcome to Plowsite! :waving:

11. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We run 1 02 250 sd, and 1 02 350 sd, and 1 older GMC 2500. On the fords I have 1 8' fisher hd, and 1 9' fisher hd, and on the GMC is a 7.5 meyer with e 47. Personally, I prefer the Fisher. It is built like a rock. Both of mine have taken some severe abuse, especially this winter. Both have been reliable. Your truck would definatley had either one. And you can never plan on light use... Plowing becomes a addiction. Next thing you know you'll be everyone's best friend in the winter. Good luck

Rick

12. Conepile

Conepile Junior Member

Thanks for the quick responses. Like I mentioned earlier, a plow in this area may get regular use or none at all. To call this a business expansion at this point is a real stretch. What would be cool would be to get one and get enough use out of it to justify the expense, as well as the time and vehicle wear. At the same time, when it does snow, somebody has to clear it. I wish we did get more snow, as it would make this easier, as well as open another revenue stream.

Thanks again.