1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Gas to Diesel Leaf Springs - Ride Quality

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by grizbait, Apr 14, 2011.

1. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

My rig is a 92-97 body style F250, D50 TTB, 5.8L, stock 2700lb/side leaf springs in the front .

I've plowed for 4 or so seasons (Western 7.6 Unimount Pro). The front leaf springs are worn out now and she's sagging.

The diesel springs for this rig are apparently rated at 3500lb/side.

I was happy with ride height and quality with the stock 2700lb/side when empty. So I've considered these two options:

Replace leaf springs with stock 2700lb rated springs, get timbrens.
    Replace leaf springs with 3500lb rated springs (may or may not get timbrens).

My guess is the heavier springs will be perfect for plowing - but I use this rig for other purposes, and I want to know how much ride quality I will sacrifice if I go with heavier diesel/stock springs.

Has to be lots of folks that have done this on a the older body style fords... any comments?
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

your concern shouldn't be with ride quality - although it will make it stiffer.

i did the same thing with my 86 F250 with dana 50. had a 351 in it, got a set of diesel springs that were under a F350 with the dana 60. it F'ed up the geometry of the front end due to lifting the truck too high. the front wheels looked like a "V" when viewing the truck from the front. i only used it for plowing so tire wear didn't concern me, but if i drove it everyday i'd end up going through tires every 2 months.

add-a-leafs will also have a similar effect.

adjustable airbags or timbrens (i've never used timbrens) would work.

but the best option is to find a dana 60 from a 86-97 F350 and put that under your truck. wo worries about alignment problems with any suspension.
  3. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

Ya - the dana 60 swap is by far the best option, but I don't want to mess with it at this point in time. Need to just get this thing ready to roll again.

Down the road I hope to have a complete f350 donor vehicle for suspension and electric, so I'm going the past of least resistance at this point...

Thanks for the input - I suspected I'd have positive camber if I went with diesel springs. I would hope some camber bushings would be able to correct that buy IDK - never used em before.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Airbags give you the best of both worlds, complete adjust-ability, and no need to replace your springs. Thumbs Up