1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 gas MPG?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by solar, Feb 13, 2007.

1. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

I’ve got an ’04 250 SD regular cab & gas fuel. With just 600lb of ballast in the bed I’m getting ~9.5 mpg. When plowing (in our 1 storm so far) I got about 5.5mpg. Both seem low. I drive very conservatively and run the max suggested psi in the tires. My brother claims he’s getting closer to 11+mpg with a 600lb+ dump insert on his truck.

What are other people getting for MPG with an F250 Super Duty?

thanks

2. Focker

Focker Member

Mine sucks, I have an 06 250 5.4, the best I have achieved is 11.5mpg but lately I cant seem to get any where near that! This is completely empty, driving conservatively, reg cab truck! I'm disappointed!

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The cold weather kills gas mileage. I have the V-10 and get around 5-6 plowing. Empty and running 75 on the highway I get 13.5. I don't worry about MPG's when I drive or plow. I have a super duty because it is a heavy duty truck and was't meant to be driven for fuel mileage.

4. Focker

Focker Member

See, that bugs the hell out of me, I cruise mostly about 70 in my 5.4 and I cant get better than 11.5....what gives? The V-10 should be getting worse mileage by a little bit at least...I am really regretting not looking for a V-10 when I purchased! Its not like I'm saving money with my 5.4 and I could have all that extra power!:cry:

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 5.4 has to work harder to push the weight of the truck. The V-10 easily pushes the weight. Make sure the fuel filter and air filter are clean.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

ONCE I got 16mpg, with the AC on, on a long trip.

usually I get 11-13.

when Im plowing, who knows- need a hour meter more then a odometer

it aint no Prius!

BTW- Im pretty sure the V8 gets better mileage then the V10

7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 07 3 valve v-10 tons of power and the same or better milage as my 03 5.4. My old truck had a 3:73 and the new one has a 4:10. The motor doesn't even have to work to get the truck moving. I was told that my truck will get better milage after I break 150 hrs. I am at 125 hrs. right now. With my plow on loaded with salt and hubs locked I am getting 8mpg. I never turn my truck off once I head out so it has a couple of hours of idling on top of driving and plowing. My dealer thought I was crazy when I told them to find a v -10 but I knew it couldn't get any worse than my old truck. My 5.4 averaged 11.5 or 12 in the summer just driving around. I am always towing something so it usually was worse ( mowers, skid loader, dumping trailer )

If you want to get better milage in your 5.4 try going 60 or 65. I know that sounds bad but at 70 my truck used alot more fuel. My old trucks best ever milage was 15.1 heading up north following my brother in a motor home. I would still rather put gas into a tank than spend $ 6,000 on a diesel and end up having problems ( been there done that ). The 5.4 had to work harder, but it did everything I asked it to do. I wish there was an easy answer to the milage problem but I don't know of one. You can dump a ton of money on bolt ons and other quick fixes but I doubt you'll get your money out of them. As soon as warm weather comes things will get better. Good luck!!!

8. Load-4

Load-4 Junior Member

Usually get around 11 mpg with the 5.4. Have noticed it slightly better when I back it down between 60 and 65. But as has been posted before on this discussion, it's a truck. It's for work, and milage isn't a consideration.
    Having said that, it still hurts at the pump!!! lol.
    Load's Clear --------<]]}

9. wrugboy

wrugboy Junior Member

I have the same truck and never get more than 10 mpg. With no weight in the bed. When plowing I log about 50 miles and have used at least half a tank. Horrible but you don't buy these things for milage.

10. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I know alot of guys that love to complain about mpg's of their trucks. The funny thing is that these same guys don't think twice about putting gas into their snowmobiles that only get 10 to 12 mpg. When you look at it like this 10 or 11mpg's in a 3/4, 1 ton 4x4 truck is really pretty impressive. My sleds and my dirt bikes drink gas so it's only fare for my f-350 to do the same. I know gas isn't cheap but it is the cost of doing business. We pass this onto our customers ( we put a fuel clause in our contracts ,if it goes up dramactically in a set amount they pay more ) Most buisnesses are doing this sort of thing. If you drive a big truck and don't use it for any sort of work, well then thats just how it.

One tip for fuel saving I can offer is that if your heat- a/c is running on any setting other than the floor alone your compressor is running. If you can run it on the floor setting it will free up a little more power. I wish you could just turn it on and off independently like in a gm truck. Just another thing to try !!!

11. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

v10

Been plowing the last few days of this week, around chicago, my mpg has read 7.5 on the computer display between doing lots and driving between 2 and 20 miles between them. i have an 00 standard cab v10, and half of this drivin is with about 1.5 tons of salt in the spreader. It has seemed like i fill up every time i go out but like magnatrac said, the truck is meant for work right now, and right now the work is tough so i cant complain for the power it has. I'm glad i have the 6.8 and not a 5.4, anyone i know with that gets about 11mpg normal driving and i get at least that with no load and above 40 degrees. The 6.0 get good gas mileage plowing or not, that truck drives the same with or without the salt and plow. I notice that when i worry about my mpg and watch it constantly it pisses me off, so screw it, just drive it. I havent really plowed with any other trucks, But this truck couldnt be any better.

12. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I get between 11-12.5 miles per gallon with my 5.4 in my f250. When plowing are last storm I filled up 3 times and went 150 miles plowing. I know I didn't buy this truck for the gas mileage. Steve

13. GrassBustersLaw

GrassBustersLaw Junior Member

I tracked the mileage on our snow storm we had last week. I got right at 5.5mpg over the 400 miles I plowed last week. That is with an 8 ft Boss plow & about 600lbs weight in bed of a F-250 SuperCab with gas 5.4.

While mowing in summer and pulling a trailer it gets around 8mpg. On highway with no load, I'm lucky to get 12mpg.

Mike

14. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I never kept track of the actual millage I get while plowing.

I do know with my 97 truck that had the 460 gas engine it would take a 1/2 a tank to a 3/4 of a tank depending on the amount of snow we had. This year with my 03 with the 7.3 diesel I can do my whole route and burn around an 1/8 of a tank. This last storm we had about 11" and the fuel consumption was just over an 1/8 of a tank.

I never worried about the millage these trucks get thats not why I buy them.

15. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

during the spring and summer I usually get about 12 mpg. During the winter that drops to about 10-11. When I'm plowing I will average anywhere from 3-6. If I'm driving down the highway with the plow I usually get about 9.

When I'm plowing the gas money doesn't bother me b/c I more than make it up with the money I get. And during the warmer months the gas gets covered by the bids we get for landscaping.

16. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

My truck is probly too old for any of you to care about but i'll post just to post. It's a '95 f-250 with the 5.8 351. 4;10 rear and no overdrive, lucky to get 8 around town, mabey 10 on highway. Remember, this is unloaded, but then again, I don't figure millage when plowing.

17. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

My 03 F250 with 600 lbs in the back gets about 9-10 mpg. when i'm out plowing, i get about 100 miles to the tank. so about 4-5 mpg. but like others said, i didn't buy this truck for the gas milage.

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I cant beleive the crappy mileage you guys are getting. I have a 06F250 SD with 410's and always run atleast 800-1200 lbs of salt in the bed and I can plow for days on a tank of gas. Even when it was brand new pulling a big 8.5x16ft enclosed trialer full of mowers and junk it was getting at least 12-15mpg. Our mowing route is tight but I can honestly go 2 weeks before a fill up.

19. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

A friend of mine has a '04 F-350 4x4 w/ 5.4. He says he sees between 12 and 13MPG, but his trips are typically short errand trips. This is with 100Gal. of diesel in the bed, too.

-MIke:gunsfiring: