1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 front end

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by unhcp, Jul 6, 2012.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I just got a 9.5 extreme v which weighs roughly 1000 lbs, so I need to beef up my front suspension. I just bought 6000 lb coil springs, what else can I do? I was thinking like a 2.5 Inch coil spaced?

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

What year is it? I have. 99 F250 and have a SnoWay 9' V and have almost no trouble. I have leaf springs on the front. I barley scrape curbs when I'm pushing snow back but getting new tires before fall so that will solve the problem. Is your plow installed yet? I'd mount it and see if it actually sags too much. I bet it will handle that plow.

3. unhcp

The truck is a 07 and the Plow in v almost scrapes the ground so I will need to do something

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

When I hjave mine V'd the whole way bac it almost scrapes too. So I bump up the wings just a little bit. How much does it drop when raised? I will see what other advice you get.

5. Chipper

Chipper Member

I might suggest you put the 7000 lb springs off a F-350 on the truck. I had a 9.5 Western MVP on my 06 F-350 and had to change out the 6000lb springs to the 7000lb to carry the extra weight. Because the plow would drag on even the smallest bump. Didn't effect the ride that much just a little stiffer.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just tossing this out there but you probably weren't running any ballast right? That will help as well, but if it doesn't and you already have the springs, I'd go with spacers as a cheap alternative.

7. unhcp

I am running ballast, but I am thinking of bumping it up from 400 to about 700 or so.

Will I need new shocks if I get spacers?

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll definitely need more than 400, 700 should be good. Thats what I run with my plow and its about the same weight as the ExtremeV if not a little heavier. If you get a small 2" spacer your stock shocks should be fine.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Could think about air suspension?

10. unhcp

I like the coil spacer idea the best so far

11. Chipper

Chipper Member

Just putting in spacers to gain a little ride height isn't the "best" option. "IF" your front suspension is bottomed out or close, when you hit a big bump in the road the force of the impact is distributed throughout the frame, body and axle. My 7000lb springs only cost me $140 vs the cost of the spacers? Same amount of labor. Fix it right the first time.

12. unhcp

Thanks for the input, I don't think the suspension is bottomed out the wings are just too close to the ground for comfort. With my new coils and spacers plus some ballast I should be OK. I hear you input for the 7k springs but you really only need those if your running a diesel.

13. dieselss

No....look at the weight of the plow. That thing weights a lot

14. unhcp

According to the fisher plow E-match system a 6000k front end should handle a 9.5 V with about 550lbs of ballast, If I wanted to get the 7k springs where could I get them?

15. dieselss

Dealer. Or afternarket

16. unhcp