1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Front End Suspension

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GLS, Dec 18, 2008.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Just wanted some input on the front suspension of a 2008 F250.

We will be hanging a blizzard 810 on one soon, and wanted to know how the front end would handle it.

Of course we will run ballast, but how about:

Springs? Currently rated for 5,600#. How much to upgrade that?

Firestone coil-rite air bags? I see they are only $75 for the kit. Does anyone use these?

Or timbrens.

2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I would upgrade to 7000lb coils.....and maybe the air bags as well.

7000lb coils are around $50-60 each from the dealer.
    If you have them installed I think it's 1hr-1.5hrs to do both according to the book.

I run the 7000lb coils, but my plow is about 100lbs lighter.
    I run about 700-800lbs of ballast.

I've done other work since I hated the handling of the truck, but I'm picky :D

3. GLS

GLS Senior Member

For only $50 a piece, the 7,000# springs sound like a no-brainer. Guess we'll put a set of those on and see how she handles.

Thanks

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Arent you worried your truck is going to ride like **** in the summer?? Not to mention putting a lot more strain on all your front end parts.. I'd be looking into airbags, something you can deflate or remove for summer time...

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Personally I like the ride of the 7000lb coils better.

I'd bottom out too much with the 6000lb coils that came on my truck during the summer.
    You can see where the bumpstop was hitting the axle on my truck with the 6000lb coils:
    [​IMG]

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

How are you liking the 08 F250 PSD? I might buy one someday

7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I finally got the 7000# coils installed in my 05 250. Took me about 80 minutes and cost less than $100. Definitely helped the front end. With an 860 Speedwing the front drops about 3/4". Sits pretty good with about 1100# ballast. Was gonna install a leveling kit. Don't think I will be as I am satisfied with this and there won't be any rear end sagging with a heavy load.

8. GLS

GLS Senior Member

What can I do to the rear end of the truck? The truck already sits perfectly level. I suspect I will get another 1" lift on the front by upgrading from 5600 to 7000 springs.

Are there heavier leaf springs I can add? Or blocks?

9. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

You can swap to F-350 blocks.....they are 93mm tall (approx 3 5/8" tall)

F-250 blocks are ~2" tall.

10. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Cool, will my u-bolts be long enough? Happen to have a part number?

Thanks for the advice.

11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

You'll need new u-bolts.

These *should* be the part numbers:
    Blocks: F81Z5598DA x 2
    U-Bolts: N803770S436 x 4
    Nuts: N620485S441 x 8

Verify them before you order though.

12. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Thank you!

13. MLS PLOW

MLS PLOW Junior Member

Question on Springs

We purchased an 08 F250 SD Diesel Supercab Longbox. We upgraded the front springs to F450 and added two addidtional rear leaf springs. Rating was same as F450. I run Fisher 8.5 X-treme V, and Tailgate swing-away salter on back. I put 1100 lbs of Salt in Back and truck sits level. Notice about 3/4" drop when I pick up plow, and Truck rides smooth with any weight in truck. We opted not to install air ride suspension (Lots af salt applied by local towns.) Truck hasn't let me down,and rides great. I commute everyday about 25 miles one way to work.

14. MLS PLOW

MLS PLOW Junior Member

Question on Springs

We purchased an 08 F250 SD Diesel Supercab Longbox. We upgraded the front springs to F450 and added two addidtional rear leaf springs. Rating was same as F450. I run Fisher 8.5 X-treme V, and Tailgate swing-away salter on back. I put 1100 lbs of Salt in Back and truck sits level. Notice about 3/4" drop when I pick up plow, and Truck rides smooth without any weight in truck. We opted not to install air ride suspension (Lots of salt applied by local towns.) Truck hasn't let me down,and rides great. I commute everyday about 25 miles one way to work.

15. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Which F-450 springs? The 6500lb coils or the 7000lb coils?

16. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Hey MLS, how is your truck doing fuel mileage wise?

17. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I had one more question before I go order these parts :)

Will the factory shocks allow for this additional height? I don't necessarily mind replacing the shocks, I just want to know if the stockers will be out of range. The truck came with the ranchos if that matters.

18. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Stock shocks will work as far as length.

I dislike stock shocks and stabilizer so I upgraded them. Bilstein shocks, Icon Vehicle Dynamics dual steering stabilizer kit. Much better than stock.

19. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Cool. Sounds like a project for the future.

20. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I run an 860SW on my 08' F250 5.4L and can't even notice the front end going down. I run about 2500 lbs of salt in the back to start the season and notice a drop in the back. The only time I feel it is when I come off of a curb too fast in the front and it seems as though the springs are bottoming out. I try to take it slow of of the curbs! Do you have to compress the springs in order to install? I have never installed springs but, our Ford Explorer springs are cracked in the back.
    My stock BFG suck on the F250!! I would like to install posi but a quote I got is $2000! I never realized that a 4 wheel drive is really only 2 wheel drive. And I grew-up in a car dealership.

Lance