1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250/F350 Gasser Opinions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowguy43, Dec 22, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Guys,
    I'm not looking to start a brawl between Diesel and Gas trucks but am looking for info from actual owners of these trucks. I'm purchasing a 2500/3500 this spring or possibly next fall and am strongly considering the 5.4 Superduty. My reasoning is I don't need a diesel and don't want all that comes along with it (maint, possible problems, etc). I'm looking for something that will hold a plow with ease, but has torque to push it as well as not straining to go up hills in my area. I've driven a 5.4 Expedition XL with the 6 speed I believe and it handled fine, not a rocket, but it didn't feel underpowered.

I'm also thinking about the V10 but they are harder to find in my area.

So please post up if you own this truck with the 5.4- I'm buying an Extended Cab Short Bed 2005-2007 4x4.

How's the Tranny hold up? Was 2005 the first year for 3 valve and 5 speed torque shift? Gas mileage? Reliability of the engine- I don't care about Ball joints they are gonna go when you hang a plow off the front. Thanks in advance.

2. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

I have an F250 with the v-10...from what I have herd the 5.4 is a little underpowered for the 3/4 ton and up trucks although I have never driven one. My v-10 has ridiculous power. and if I drive it light I can get 13-14 mpg on the highway with 4.30 gears. its a 4x4 crewcab standard bed. weighs about #7000+. My vote would be holdout for a v-10 over the 5.4 in a F250 or larger...

3. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I know a few guys with 5.4 F250's and F350 dumps, the 5.4 is underpowered for the truck even empty, I know the diesel is a big money option, but it pays off especially if you are going to work this truck, the 5.4 as well as the V10 has manifold/spark plug issues too, my buddy has a shop that does alot of commerical trucks and is a Fisher tech too, I have seen alot of 5.4's and V10's in there with the studs rotted off the manifolds and the plugs rotted off in the heads too. IMO the 99-03 7.3 trucks are the best option if you are going with a Ford, I also hear the 6.4 is a decent power plant, hasn't been around long enough to prove itself yet though, I guess if you are hellbent on a gas motor then the V10 is the better option, just check it out before you purchase, look through the inner fenders up front and check the condition of manifolds, and spark plugs/holes.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

4. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

i have a 2003 f250 with the 5.4 v8 2 valve and an 06 f350 service truck with the 6.8 3 valve v10. i get around 12-13 mpg with the 5.4 during the summer. and around 10-11 mpg with the v10. 05 was the first year for 3 valve v8 and v10 but not the first year of the torque-shift. that trans was built and designed for use with the 6.0 diesels starting in 04. 05 was the year they switched them over to the gassers also. my uncle was formally a small town ford dealer that deals with a lot of trucks (now just services and sells used) and his brother in-law runs one of the largest trans shops around this area. they have only rebuilt a very small hand-full of those trannys and only had to rebuild them because the owner did not service them(change oil and flush every 100,000). the internal pickup screen in the trans will clog and cause the trans to burn up.

before we got the 06 we had a 2000 f250 with the 6.8 v10 that got 12-14 with and we sold it with 250,000 miles on it in 05.

the only time i feel that the 5.4 is under powered is if i'm pulling a large heavy trailer. i have a boss 9'2" v on the f250 and the 5.4 pushes it anywhere i want to go.

at the shop my uncle deals with a lot of guys that deliver camping trailers from factory to dealer and car transporters that haul with super dutys and they run them 24/7. some of them have switched over to the gassers because they are a lot cheaper to service and the v10's arn't that far behind the diesels in pulling power.

as justin said the manifolds will start to leak - thats a given on the ford gassers but isnt really that costly of a repair at all compared to injectors or a turbo on a diesel and can be done in a afternoon by a decent mechanic. i took that opportunity to replace the manifolds with stainless headers and the new copper coated studs so that problem wouldn't happen again.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for all of the comments guys, seems like the V10 isn't far off with fuel economy but has a lot more power. I really was hoping the 5.4 would be enough to get out of its own way when needed, but mostly have the grunt to tow/plow with ease.

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

the 5.4 will do what you want and more. never have i been concerned about not having enough power. ive pulled a 10k case skid, cars, mini ex's, more cars, and my 7klbs box daily in the summer..i love these guys on here that say " i know a few guys with em and they r underpowered" VERY reliable engine and proven platform. nice thing about the 5.4s are they dont weigh nuthin! so you can hang a huge plow on the front with no saggage! i push an 8.6 straight with no power problems! get it and dont look back!

7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I have a 05 Ford f-350. To start my story I had a F-150 7700 It was getting close to the nickel and dime phase of ownership. So I haul maybe under the term Regularly. I do a couple of longer pushes plowing and haul concrete and asphalt shingles. And go to the North Maine Woods quite a bit. Daily driver haul a small camper. Even though i can get away with a mid-size 70 percent of the time, I decided on a 3/4 ton. I have friends that own all of the big 3 So thats where i was geared for Now right off the batt.
    I started local and at the Gm dealers. Now i do not dislike GM I disliked the service and attitude at my local dealers. ( Im sure this is reginal) So I went to the local Ford dealers and they all had nice Superduties, Diesel and 5.4s. And on the diesel end of it i cant justify the cost of ownership. And a bad Moose hunt with 2 trucks that filled up with watered up diesel that paralized them 20 miles in the woods. for a couple hours changing filters and siphoning and the smell of diesel on my clothes the rest of the day. not the trucks falt at all. Now back to the story I did not want a 5.4 in superduty just because of having mixed emotions about them in F150s. My father inlaw has a V10 with 3.73s (00) and got 13-14 mpg and since i was getting 15-17 on my F-150 I truly wanted the v10. And off to the dodge dealerships and whoa where are the 2500s? So gettind very discouraged with the 3/4-1 ton I was shoping between Bangor to Boston all the trucks with V10s were hammered (body) I went to a dealer that had a nice Superduty with the 5.4 and he was pushing that truck saying it would be like my F150 since the new 5.4 had the 3V so i went fired it up and let it warm up and i went and hammered the gas and honestly i was quite impressed. It had 4.10s but could not strike a deal. So went to a bunch more Dealerships and really no one really wanted to give me money for my previous truck and the dealers did not like I had my own financing. So one day I headed south and bought the truck at Salem Ford in NH It has 3.73s which i wish it had 4.10s I Regularly see 13 mpg but im kinda modded. On the highway (longrer trips) I see 14.7 Hand calculated mpg. All and all im happy with the 5.4 but if you can get the V10 its nearly the same mileage. Trust me.

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Ive got an 05 with the 5.4 and t-shift,with 3.73s and unless you are looking for speed,,,it is anything but UNDER-powered. Its a 1-ton truck not a sports car, it has all the torque you could want for plowing, as plowing is more about traction than power. If you were to find the 4.10 or 4.30 rear, I'm sure it would REALLY wake. Believe me you won't be disappointed, and if you wanna get on the on- ramp in a giddy-up just floor it,,,confident downshifting and fast upshifting, will easillly get you moving the way you want. I sought out a gasser with the t-shift for the exact reasons of not wanting the extras assoicated with a diesel. Your best bet is to just test drive both.

9. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Damn thats good mileage...My old F-450 4x2 460 would get 7mpg highway empty

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

5.4L would do ok for you.

It not low rev engine to get torque. You will notice power if you rev pass 2,500 to 5,000 rpm.

I would say I get little better on gas with 5.4L than 6.8L V10. Long trip on Highway we get 15-16 mpg by cruise 70-80 mph. With V10 you get 12 until you cruise 55-60 you get 15-16.

But for tow 5.4L do ok but little underpowered I notice when tow 10,000 pound trailer compare to our F250 with V10. It have 4.10 gear that time. No experience with 3.73 never drove one with that gear expect Lincoln Mark LT.

If it was me I would buy 5.4L for work if I am tow really heavy than 10,000 pounds then V10 6.8L for that.

11. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

I have had the diesels.. There nice, but so is gas, i personally have gotten away from them. My main truck is a gasser now 05 f250 v10. I love it i get between 14-18 mpg on the highway and it has alot more torque and hp. You can actually boost up the power and get better mileage if you do a cpl things.. I hooked up a superchip programmer, throttle body spacer, k & n air filter, cut out the step down y pipe and replaced with a full one with out the 1/2" step down sleeves, kept the cat of course, removed the stock muffler and replaced with a full 3" magnaflow glass pack, followed right behind with a flowmaster rv muffler 1 in 1 out, and dumped it out the side right in front of the rear tire with a mandrel bent 45 keeping it all 3". sounds great to, the glass pack breaks up the close firing order of the v10 and the flowmaster gives it some grunt. I did this to get my fuel mileage back being i run 35" toyo open county m/t radials. If you run stock i bet you can do 20 plus on the highway and gain lots of go go juice.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  12. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What gears do you run

13. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I run an 04 F350 with a 5.4 2 valve and a 9' utility body, 4:10 rear. Plenty of low end for pushing but you won't win any drag races. Good motor for a work truck-no complaints.:drinkup:

14. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The stock y- pipe has a real bad restriction if I remember right- there was a pic somewhere on the site where the y-pipe on a 5.4 is only about 1-3/4".

15. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

3.73 limited slip

16. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

WOW...Even with the big rubber & it still has balls with that tall of a gear...You cant beat a Ford :nod:wesport

I have an 08' F-150 2wd 4.6 V8 auto with 3.73 limited slip & only get 16mpg hwy

17. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

oh ya.. after i scraped that stock y pipe it was a whole new truck.. it was very noticeable.
    The reason ford did that to the y pipe, was to lose a flutter in the exhaust during deceleration. It worked to lose it but they also robbed it of power.. Now i have that flutter, and honestly it's kinda cool... sounds like i have a very mild jake brake... lol

18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The 5.4's get it done. I have an F250 ext cab short box with a 5.4, it plows and drives fine, but it really whines when hooked to a trailer... I jump out of that truck and into the 3v V10 and it's a night and day difference, the V10 has loads more power, and it doesn't have to rev to move itself... The 5.4 truck gets 14mpg highway pretty consistently (the guy that usually drives it is kind of a puss though), the 3v V10 gets 12 hwy, less when working hard. Lowest I've seen was 7mpg towing a b!tch of an enclosed trailer... If this is a primary truck, hold out for a V10; if it's just a work truck, the 5.4 will do just fine.

19. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

do the 2005's 5.4's have this Y pipe problem?

20. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

:nod: Yup nothing runs and works like a Ford! This truck has become my favorite, it took a few bucks and a lots of research into the recipe to tune a v10 to an all around great truck, on a budget with out motor work.. I am very pleased with it.