1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Diesel or Gas?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by creativedezign, Oct 2, 2009.

1. creativedezign

creativedezign Junior Member

I'm looking into buying another truck for plowing this winter. I have two used trucks in mind, a 2002 F250 Diesel and a 2005 F250 Gas.
    The 02 has about 59k miles and the 05 has about 50k miles.
    Pricing of them: 02 Diesel is just under $14k and the 05 Gas is just under $15k.

any opinions on what one to go with? anyone with that gen. diesel?
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

You know what everyone says about the 7.3L :nod:
    Plus thats a good price for a diesel with that mileage. Also your gonna save a little money on property tax between the 02 and 05. Im assuming the 05 is a 5.4...youll be lucky to get 6-8mpg while plowing. I get 5mpg in my silverado gasser. If the 02 is in decent shape i would probably go with that. That motor will last a lot longer also.
  3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

02' would have been a 7.3l. Hands down the 02' it will push better, and last twice as long.
  4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

WHAT??? Are you kidding me? :dizzy:

Whats with the name bud? :angry:
  5. 06HD BOSS

Aahhhhaahaa! LOL i didnt catch that before. Its ok Cre, he's the ebonic version from the states...i mean statez. :D
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

As long as it's a Ford go for either one.

PS Now we have a "real" Creativedesigns on here!
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Either one will be just fine.
    Diesel costs more to maintain then a gasser does.
  8. creativedezign

hahaha sorry bro, good thought on the name, I changed the s to a z for the logo purposes... i just joined this site so no name stealing here.
  9. creativedezign

yeah ive been leaning towards the diesel myself just for the more power and mpg...i would probably end up getting an engine chip put in it also to increase the mpg even more and add a little power. the 02 is in great shape body wise and interior... just trying to weigh in how much the maintenance is going to be on it. Is the maintenance on diesel trucks a lot to keep up with? This would be my first diesel. I have an 06 F350 gas right now.
  10. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Id pe pissed about the name to and diesel hands down... 5.4L in a One Ton? Lets get real
  11. grandview

My Ford with the 5.4 has not had a problem pushing any amount of snow. It;s not what size engine you have it's how you use it.
  12. azandy

azandy Member

I agree, I actually ahd one driver have a problem with wheel spin on one of our duramax trucks because he would hit it too hard and just spin out. He had to learn because I was out pushing him in a big parking lot with an old wore out gas truck
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The "extra" maintenance on a 7.3 is minuscule, the fuel savings is not.
  14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Def the diesel. Sounds like a good price too. The ford gas motors are junk no power. If your getting a gas truck go chevy. And yea I agree about its mostly driver, but what happens when the snow is like concrete and you got lots of snow to push? I do snowplowing so the diesel was a must.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  15. 06HD BOSS

You keep telling yourself that GV :cool:
  16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

06hd boss, do u own a 5.4? your input is worthless here. go back to the bowtie IFS section. since when is 300hp and 365ft/lbs weak? i push a 8'6" straight proplus with my 5.4 and run out of traction before power. i dont like waiting for a turbo to spool up for power. and ford gas motors junk? please there are many discussions on here and ford-trucks.com about the advantage of gas over deisel. if your worried about power, get the big boy V10. but a 5.4 is plenty of truck to plow with. ultimate plows response is funny. i do plowing so diesel is a must. haha so do i, but with a gasser, and when truckers fuel goes up. mine stays the same!
    id go gas for 3 reasons.

#1 new gas engines cost the same as a turbo on a diesel, or injectors take your pick.
    #2 gassers have power right off the line period. dont tell me diesels dont have to spool up. starting and stopping constantly would get old with that oil burner.
    #3 diesel gelling up in cold temps. it happens
  17. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Your just mad because you own the 5.4 alright dude. Your tellin me you would rather plow with the 5.4?. :laughing:
  18. grandview

Jackie always told me she liked how powerful the engine was and how well it worked while plowing. :D
  19. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

two cents time,,,,Yes in fact ultimate, I would rather have my 5.4, thats why I bought it.(For 8 thousand dollars less mind you.) If you feel that the truck is underpowered I'd vote that you are mistaken. 365 ft lbs mated to a 5 speed auto with a choice of gearing up to 4.56, is MORRRE than enough power. Plowing is not about power what-so-ever,its about traction, and most work trucks don't need the "POWWWWER" that alot of people think they do. Its about torq, gearing, and the RPM ranges inwhich those two work together. People who are obsessed with horsepower horsepower horsepower, usually are not owners of work-trucks. I.E. the GMC Sierra 1500 is available with a 403 hp V8, while the larger trucks are only availble with 365hp. Oh but this can't be right cuz you need POWWWWWER. I've heard alot about the ford mod v8's, fortunately i've also had alot of face time with them. 4.6's 5.4's 2v or 3v , I believe that the 3valve 5.4 is an exceptionally powerful engine for its size and weight, that produces smooth,consistent, and long stretching powerbands, all with an EXCELLLENT track record for reliabilty. Many people that feel that this engine is so pathetically underpowered, should do a couple things, first, ask themselves, do I have alot of experience and knowledge on this topic, and second, why would a multi-billion dollar company filled with people much smarter than you and I not notice what took a few simple-minded plow drivers to figure out. If there is so0mething HIDEOUSLY wrong with a vehicle it usually wouldnt continue for over a decade.-Cheers!
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  20. ultimate plow

from N. IL

My 05 stock
    Horsepower: 325HP @ 3300 RPM
    Torque: 570 @ 2000 RPM
    Displacement: 363 CID

Have your 5.4. Your bustin your own ballz. The guy has a chance to get a 7.3 with 59K miles.