1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 crew handle V plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BP73, Nov 22, 2014.

1. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

Hi guys. I'm considering purchasing a 2009 F250 Crew Cab (gas) and have a desire to add a 8' V plow. Here's where it gets tricky. The front GAWR is only 4800 pounds and according to the Fisher web site, a V plow is not an option for that truck.

I will need a dealer to install it. It's not a do-it-yourself project for me.

Now i'm torn about buying it or not.

Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy heavier springs for the front increasing the gawr.

3. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I read that adding heaving springs increases the GAWR and I also read that adding heavier springs doesn't achieve that because it's the axle that has the limitation. :confused:

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

it will handle it, but best is to ask your local dealer, he'll tell you if they will install it on your truck

5. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

Yeah, I'm going to call my local dealer on Monday. It's a nice truck at a good price. Hope they don't sell it before I get to talk with my Fisher dealer.

6. dieselss

Not sure where you read that,about the axle having the limits. It's true to a point, but not in your case

7. BP73

BP73 Junior Member
    from PA

I read it on the internet so it must be true. ;)

What do you mean to a point, but not in my case?

8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Where can I get some information on buying larger springs?

9. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

You could get upgraded Ford springs, they are only a couple hundred bucks if I remember right. If you have maybe a deal on the truck yet you could work that into the deal.

10. dieselss

Ok I'm assuming you have a 250 5.4? In that guess, manufacturers make up to 3 different faw for different motor configurations. If you have a low one, look to see if springs from a different trk will work. I.e....diesel,,,v10 etc. Most of the time, nothing else changes. Brakes, front end parts etc....so in your case you should be ok.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  11. dieselss

So not in your case.....If you have a 1/4 trk. You buy heavier springs, that doesn't mean your front end parts are rated for the heavier Wright your now attempting to carry.

12. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

If you were ordering your F250 new you would tick the box for plow package which includes upgraded springs Best bet is to check with your local Ford dealer or a reputable spring company.

13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

It will be fine. Add about 600 lbs of ballast at the tailgate. The truck will be perfectly fine and can easily handle a bigger plow. I have a 9.6 stainless western vee with wings and a diesel. Holds it fine

14. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

15. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

I would add leveling kit and be done. Not going to be an issue IMO