1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Crew Cab Short Bed 7.3/Can I plow with this?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hartmanfamily, Oct 12, 2008.

1. hartmanfamily

hartmanfamily Junior Member

I live in Missouri and I have been told that I may have trouble using my 2000 F250 7.3 Diesel "Short Bed" 4x 4 Pickup to plow. I am thinking of installing a Boss straight blade or even a V Plow and utilizing it to plow parking lots. I was told last night that this may not work. Has anyone had success plowing with a truck like this in years past. What were the disadvantages?
    Thank You - Dan

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

what were these said problems?

that truck should be great for plowing what is the FGVW on the truck?
    the only problem i could see with that truck is the weight..you can only put a 7.5 foot plow on there but you shouldn't have any problems..

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

you should be able to get a 7.5 to 8 foot straight blade on there im not sure about the v
    the issue will be your front axle weight since that will determine how much plow you can hang off the front of your truck

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have a buddy with the same truck and an 8' Western on it and he has no issues at all. It is just as big as his supercab long bed and he plowed with that just fine.

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You can plow with almost any trucks. Its just a question of how much plow and how much snow the truck can handle. The engine certaintly can.....

6. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

i wouldnt worry about weight to to much its not like its on there year round or even longer than a few days at a time.

7. ColliganLands

weight can lead to DOT problems if they so choose. also im not sure but i believe warranty may also become an issue if you put it over weight

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i dont know that waranty is an issue on a 2000:D

9. ColliganLands

well thats probably true but you never know there are some pretty lenghty extended warranties out there

10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Put a 9' vee up front and 700# out back and let her eat.

We run them for 8 weeks straight like that, no problems.

Yes they say watch front axle weight - watch the DOT - heck watch your competitors do it.

A 7.5' plow on a 3/4 ton is leaving just a bit on the table IMO.

11. ColliganLands

im not saying that everyone doesnt do it or that i also wouldnt do it. i also have a higher FAGWR than the f250 but im just poinitng out if soemthing were to happen the weight can quickly come back to bite you. - i dont want to deter anyone from plowing or having the plow they want

12. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

That wont work at all, I think you need to get rid of it and buy a real truck. I will give you $1000 to take it off your hands (I need another plow truck). LOL!

13. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

yeah you gotta watch out or the dot will put you in snow plow jail lol

14. ColliganLands

with the new inspections in MA i wouldnt be suprised if DOT becomes an issue i just had to get a DOT inspection on my f350 because it was over 10,000 gvrw even though its primarily used for personal use its still "commercial" by weight thats all im saying weight can be a factor if they so choose