1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Crew Cab Diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spikemcd, Aug 20, 2001.

1. spikemcd

spikemcd Junior Member

I've been reading the messages regarding Ford limits on F250 snowplows. While I was aware they would void a warranty I took the chance anyway because I needed both a family & work vehicle. If I am willing to accept the risk of voiding my warrenty is it only the front end I am voiding or the whole warranty? More importantly, will a snow plow installer install a plow if I want it even though it is not manufacture recommended? How do Mejier & Diamond Plows electric hydrolic snowplows compare to let's say Fisher or Western? Any advise is most welcome. Mac in Boston.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Some dealers don't even care. They will still warrenty your truck with the plow on it. Find a good ford dealer for your service work.

Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The only installers that will do this are the ones that have cash deals, or you have to do the install yourself. You see if the front frame section snaps off while transporting the plow, and you lose control and hit a school bus full of children and have a firery crash, everyone is going to get sued, including the truck maker, plow maker and installer. So there would have to be no record that they did the work.
    As far as plow makers go, meyer would be last on my list. They have questionable hydro along with wimpy blades. Western and Fisher have the sam hydro uniys, so then its just a choice of full trip or trip edge.
    Diamond makes a great blade, but shares the hydros with meyer, and would be very heavy for a front end already close to FGAW.
    If you insist on a plow for that truck, the snowway with lexan blade would be your lightest/ strongest combo.
    Dino

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Mac, you do have at least a couple of problem's with this truck. First, in regards to the warranty, it's essentialy up to the dealer as to what they will and will not service. In other words if a dealer suspects that the plow caused the part or parts to fail, then they have the right to deny warranty work on that particular part. Now comes the tricky part , under Massachusetts law the burden is on the dealer to PROVE that the plow caused the problem ( this goes for ALL aftermarket parts ). If a dealer or Ford denied the warranty, you may have to go to an arbitrator or to court to prove your case. The other bad news is that if you want to have a Fisher plow installed, you are SOL on that . I tried all the Fisher dealers in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire to have my Vplow installed, I was 0-6 (even Maddigan, up in your neck of the woods) . I just bought the plow in New Hampshire and installed it with the help of two friends . Having said that, I would not want to do that again, EVER ! However installing a straight blade is simpler . What ever you decide good luck and let me be the first to welcome you to plowsite.

5. spikemcd

spikemcd Junior Member

I took it to a truck parts company today as mfc. reps for plows won't touch it for insurance reasons. The truck parts guy was trying to figure out why ford wouldn't warrant an F250 because it's certainly strong enough. He's looking into it and he thinks the fact it's a crew cab it may have a split frame and in an accident could buckle. Anyone out there know if the F250 crew cabs 4x4 have a single or split frame?

6. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

F250 Diesel & Warranty

Mac, I know each State has their own laws but from a manufacturers standpoint, if it is not recommended in the application guide, the dealer should not install it, that doesn't mean you could not cash and carry and install yourself, what it does mean that the manufacturer will not warrant the plow. Sno-Way, who I work for, for instance, sits in on all truck manufacturing forums each year and as long as we do not exceed the front axle rating of the vehicle, we do not void warranty. This is why the moldboard of our plows is hightensile low alloy steel, to cut down on carrying weight. It is important when buying a truck to let them know what you will be doing with it. For instance, if you tear up a transmission because you plow, that particular part of your warranty my not cover the damage. We have no problems with Diesels, in fact we ran the GMC 2500 Diesel in our fleet for years with a "V" plow on it and we don't take them off all year. By the way, we do the same with our current fleet of GMC 2500HD extended cabs. Sno-Way begins to draw the line at 2-wheel vehicles vs. 4x4. We have very few 2-wheel drive applications. The only reason we ever changed was because we thought we could save money running gas vs. diesel, guess we thought wrong.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mac, Whoever said the F250 is certainly strong enough to carry a plow was right,but you are carrying optional equipment that weighs as much as a plow already.You have no payload left for the plow.This is the problem,its real simple,on your door tag,there is a front axle Weight rating-it is between 4700-5200 lbs,weigh your truck at a certified scale,and get the front axle weight.Now a typical 700 lb plow will add 1000-1100 lbs to the front end,and take off 250-350 lbs off the rear end.I bet you have 4300-4600 lb on your front end with you and a passenger in it.What does this leave for a plow? add 1100 to that,your overweight,on a steering axle no less.This voids the warranty on the entire truck-bumper to bumper,its in your owners manual,overloaded trucks are no covered under the warranty-the plow frame is proof that you overload your truck.Another thing,like Dino said,no proffesional plow installer will install it,they are liable,it would be like a camper sales place installing a 2200 lb camper on a 1500 truck,they are automatically guilty for overloading you.If you are involved in a serious accident,it will be investigated,and they will determine that your truck was overloaded,making you guilty automatically,irreguardless of what happened,and this gives your insurance carrier a way out of paying for damages,because overloaded vehicles are not covered by your insurance.Think this over carefully,its your truck,but when you go on public roads,you are obligated to follow the weight regualtions like everyone else.Im not saying i never run overloaded,I do ,and i know im taking a chance,but Im overloaded for the first drop out of my V-box,1/2 mile from where i load,and Im not over on any axle weight rating,just the total GVWR.I agree with Dino,in that if you do decide to do this,buy a sno-way,the lightest one,keep passengers out of the truck when the blade is one,and run ballast 500+ lbs in the rear of the bed,to counter the front end weight if at all possible.

8. spikemcd

spikemcd Junior Member

Thanks everybody for the feedback. This has really been helpful. I am leaning towards a Snoway Plow given my front end GVW issues. It distributes the weight & snow in a way that is most advantageous to my situation. I would like to know if there are any downsides to the snoway. Also, what are the pros & cons of steel vs. Lexan? Any advice is welcome. Will this Snoway eliminate dealer anxiety about installing it? Snoway's website says they do it on crew cabs.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Your best bet is to call snow way, aand ask for Bryan. He is a member here and has been great dealing with any snow way issue.
    I would stay with the lexan, less weight, and it is very durable.
    Dino

10. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i have been plowing for 5yrs. with a snoway series 25, lexan moldboard and downpressure system. i will tell you that i have been very happy with it. the lexan will stand up to anything you can thro at it. i once hit a bent over pc. of 2" gal. pipe at 10 mph.
    it stopped me cold and didn't even puncture the lexan. now thats impressive!
    Alan can also give you some insight on snoways.
    dan

11. spikemcd

spikemcd Junior Member

Thanks to all. I've made my decision. Snoway is the way to go for crew cabs. Special thanks to all esp. John DiMartino who is the most knowledgeable person I've read after checking other sites as well.