1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f250 brake problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselpusher, Jan 1, 2009.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

started my truck today its a 95 f250 powerstroke diesel and it was fine drove to the firehouse let it run went inside for a bit came back out and the brake light was on. drove and the pedal was extremely hard to push down and i couldnt stop

got it home pulled the vacuum line off the booster and put my finger over it and didnt feel anything nor hear anything

what is it
  2. Hard brake pedal

Diesels do not develop any vacuum. Most diesel trucks either have a hydro-boost power brake unit which gets its power from the power steering pump, or they have a belt driven or electric driven vacuum pump. If you have vacuum power brakes, more than likely your vacuum pump has gone bad.

3. dieselpusher

yeah it has a belt driven vacuum pump thats what i figure

alright guess im putting a new one in tomorrow
  4. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Yup. The diaphram probably failed internally. Should be good with a new one.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They go bad all the time. I see a dead one on our mechanics work bench almost weekly.
  6. dieselpusher

it comes and goes itll be okay for a little then it will build the presure up again and be hard to press