1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 and installing plow/package

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by adam5557, Dec 6, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i am buying a f250 w/o a plow package, what can i add to it to make it take the beating of plowing, and what would be a good plow for it. I am leaning toward the blizzards.Thank you

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

If you are buying new I would get the plow package not only is the front suspension beefed up but you get the needed tranny cooler also. In the long run it is a lot cheaper to get it as the package then to put it all together. You also have to look at warrenty issues with putting a plow on a truck without a plow package

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

all 250s have the trans cooler

you get springs, 140amp alternator, and supposidly a different fan clutch.
    You can easily upgrade those items if your getting a used truck.

4. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Junior Member

I have an "02 F-350 powerstroke i should be all set with putting a plow on that right?

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

Shadow- your fine as long as your not a crew cab long bed.

I dont think I have plow prep on my gas truck, I got it used and bolted the new plow on it.

front end lowers about 1/2" with the plow up, rear of truck does not move at all when the plow is up. Before I added a leaf to the front it lowered about 3/4". I did the add-leaf to level out the front for when the plow is not on.

I have whatever alternator came with the thing when I bought it.
    Cranking the defroster, radio, lights, wipers I dont see any problems.
    Truck actually runs a tick cooler on the highway with whatever fan clutch it came with.

6. PAplowman

PAplowman Member

You can order any new Super Duty with a plow package. If you buy a new truck, and do not get the plow package, Ford can, and will void your warranty for any chance possible. I know first hand, A good friend owns the local dealer!

7. adam5557

adam5557 Member

I am considering buying this truck.What should i add to it when i put my plow on it.Price $18,995
    Body Style Truck
    Mileage 50,606
    Exterior Color Black
    Engine 8 Cylinder Gasoline
    Transmission Automatic with Overdrive
    Drive Type 4 wheel drive - rear
    Fuel Type Gasoline
    Stock No. 5441T
    VIN 1FTNX21L23EB18905

8. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Yea its a 2003 f250 any comments good or bad?

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Guys I have a 99 f250 supercab short bed and it dose not have the plow prep package and all I did is put the 2.5" leveling kit in and then I added a 2" add a leaf in so it sat level after and accident and the truck dose not even squat at all.And I have been using the same truck for the past four years and have had no problems at all with out the plow prep package. :)