1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 '85 not starting!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by elevate, Feb 23, 2007.

1. elevate

elevate Junior Member

First post here! Thanks for all the help in advance!

Was out plowing last big storm and ran into a problem. The truck is old and worked pretty hard. But, when it runs it runs good!

As I was saying. Came to a stop and just to put truck in park and she died. Figured I needed another starter Solenoid so I let it cool down. Went back to her and turned the key, NOTHING! I mean nothing! Lights work, dash lights work and everything comes on when you turn the key. But, nothing going to starter. You can jump it by crossing the solenoid but that is the only way right now.

Any suggestions?

2. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sounds like the neutral safety switch is bad. Did you try starting it with the trans in neutral instead of park?

3. elevate

elevate Junior Member

Tried starting in neutral.
    checked the inert switch.
    checked the harness off the volt reg.

Kind of at loss!

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is there a vacuum line? I thought I heard that once.

5. snowcan

snowcan Member

That truck is old enough that it would hard to say what's wrong, but start with checking for power at the input of the solenoid.I f you have power there replace the solenoid. If you don't have power there you will have to start tracing the ignition switch circuit which does go through the neutral safety switch, you will need a wiring diagram and test lamp.Check for the obvious first like a bad ground or bad connection or fusible link.....good luck

6. elevate

elevate Junior Member

Tracing everything was going to be the next step. I have feeling it is in the ignition switch at the steering column. Guys at the shop don't think so. We will have to see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!

I will keep you posted on progress.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you have to jump the solenoid, I would say it's the solenoid. I had an '86 and I thought I had a bad solenoid once, but the contacts were just loose. Solenoids are cheap so don't feel bad if that's not it.

8. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

if all else fails you can take and put a push button in for the starter and just use the key to energize everthing.

9. elevate

elevate Junior Member

Thought of that. It might be an option we would have to take.

The solenoid is brand new!