1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 6.0 Overheating?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Andeker, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Andeker

Andeker Junior Member

I have been advised by my dealer that I need to install a reverse fan clutch on my 2003 F250 6.0L to keep it from overheating while plowing. More specifically while running down the road with the plow blocking the airflow through the grill?

Have you experienced this?

Is it really a problem?

Pushing snow in Missouri.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

lowering your plow a little should help

im wondering if you have other problems. the only time i have ever seen the temp gauge move up on either of my 7.3s was once with the plow on and pulling a skidloader down the 4 lane at 75 mph

hope i have helped

3. Andeker

Andeker Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. I haven't actually plowed with this truck. This is the first diesel that I have owned. I struck up a conversation with a service guy at the dealer where I bought the truck. I know that he pushes snow with a 250 and he was the one that mentioned it to me. I searched many, many threads here and have found no one with this issue. Just thought that I would ask.

Thanks for the info!

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the cooling system for these trucks are more than big enough

i think he was trying to sell you shitt

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I have never had, or heard of a truck overheating while plowing snow when the temps are 20 degrees......thats not exactly summer weather.......

6. noluck

noluck Junior Member

just wanted to let you know i have plowed w/ 6.0 since 03 never overheated. I did have a problem in the summer temp guage pegged. replaced water pump (warranty) replaced again w/ updat. apparently cover was warping causing the inside mechanism to fail. no problems now.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

it has been know to occur....do not waste money until it does...mine does not

it is a real deal thing...no lies there...but not all trucks do it...mostly the morons running 80mph with plow all the way up in october and march

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Plus most plow manufacturers state to NOT transport plows over a certain speed. There's a few reasons, road safety and air flow to the radiator. Not only the engines running hot but now the transmission may be too. Since it's not flowing air to the radiator the trans coolers not getting air either. Listen to the 6.0's engine sound. You will hear the fan clutch making the engine roar when it's warmer then normal. The sound will make a drastic change when the clutch disengages. I drive all 3 versions of the PowerStroke on a regular basis.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have the plow prep package? My '05 overheated before I changed the fan to the one for the plow prep.

Also, there was an update for the early model '06s that installed a jumper switch to run the fan earlier.

10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

My 03 7.3 never overheated, even on the highway.

My 05 would overheat driving up 31 at 50mph, lower the plow and all was fine.

My 08 has no problems.

I'm not sure if any have the plow prep package..........

11. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

I had to do the same thing to my 05 F-350. I didn't have a plow prep fan on and the fan wasn't kicking on early enough to keep it cool. Even lowering my plow nearly to the ground while driving down the road wouldn't keep it cool enough, plow is too tall to allow that.

I ponied up the 150 bucks, I think, it cost me to buy it and spent 1 hour putting it on and no more problems.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

ANGLE YOUR BLADE IN TRANSPORT...This will allow air flow to your radiator.
    I will not drive down the highway without my blade angled.

13. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Never heard of this, I have a 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 and none of them have ever overheated, even after plowing for over 24 hours straight, no engine turn off. But we don't do a lot of highway driving either, in fact I don't think we do any. JMO

14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Don't that make drivers in car or van get mad because angle plow push wind to side?

My Friend do angle plow to save little gas but I have see several drivers stare like What hell why you angle plow to blow us off road. I see car moving little but they was try control to stay on road. That was 55 mph road.

15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't care less about the "wind" my plow blows off while driving.

I care about how it's safer, makes my plow not as wide as it would be straight, and gives my working it's butt of engines air flow in transport.