1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f250 4X4 Problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Yoohoo42, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Yoohoo42

Yoohoo42 Junior Member

my 4X4 is till not working. I was told it was the eletronic shift motor on the transfer case. I took off the old one and noticed that the transfer case was shifted into 4X4. I'm assuiming. They said the shift motor is shipped in 2 wheel high and the transfer case will not match up. It has manual hubs. That are locked. But still nothing. All the lights on the dash are lite. and it is now in 4X4 low but now 4X4 but is in low. Iam at a loss. I think its time to take it in, I was hoping it was an ez fix or somthing I can do myself. Any ideas? The truck is a 2000.

2. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Might be the vacuum solenoid on the passenger inner fender, should have an electrical plug on top and 2 vac lines coming out of it, if there isn't vac being applied to the lines, the hubs won't lock. The transfer case will engage like usual, but the hubs won't engage to transfer the power to the wheels. Mine is doing that too on occasion.

3. Yoohoo42

Yoohoo42 Junior Member

I will try that. Thank you. Do you know about the Lights? and why it wont shift out of low?

4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You have to be in neutral stopped and your foot on the brake pedal to shift from 4L to 4H or vise versa

5. Yoohoo42

Yoohoo42 Junior Member

I have tried everything and it wont come out of low.

6. ducatirider944

from Iowa

You did leave the engine running when you did the steps above right?

7. Yoohoo42

Yoohoo42 Junior Member

Yes it was running.

8. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Probably the shift solenoid

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You can shift the t-case with pliers or vice grips if need be.

10. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Just went through the same crap. 00 Super duty. Put a remanufactured electronic t case shifter on and it went bad 3 days later. took it back, got another one and all is good. Just give me a lever. If you rely on the vacuum locking hubs they will let you down eventually. Get a set of Warn hubs and throw the factory junk away. Pretty easy to put on.

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Yoohoo42 said he has manual hubs that are locked. Forget about the hubs guys!

12. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

I have an 06 F250 with the electric shift and vacuum yada yada...and 2 storms ago I had a problem with it not coming out of 4Lo...I had to back up 50ft , apply the brakes heavily until it stopped, then put transmission in Nuetral and then it took itself out (the 4Lo light wouldnt come out on my dash cluster as well) as soon as I did the above it came right out and it was fine! Make sure you put the selector switch in 2WD before doing this, it should switch itself right out...And you dont need to be in nuetral to switch between 4Hi and 4Lo..You should be stopped, but can switch while in gear...Two storms ago was the first time I ever had that issue...Hope this helps!

13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Did you replace the hubs? The factory ones go bad

14. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Hmmmm....Yoohoo42 said he has electronic shift on the fly and the manual hubs are locked. It's pretty obvious that the hubs have been replaced.

15. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

hmm..and the saga continues...

16. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

It's your Tranfercase shift module!!! It's located on the transfer case!! Mine went again yesterday AGAIN and am waiting for the new one to come in Friday! Need anymore help let me know. I'm going to find the thread about this!

17. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Let me just add this...The two times this has happened both lights come on on the dash, 4x4 and 4x4 low. What you can do for now is disconnect both plugs under the truck and pull the 30 amp fuse feeding the TCSM, and make sure you have the transfer case shifted into 2wd a 9/16 box wrench will work. Hope this little bit helps!

Rich

18. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

thats what I think. its the shift motor. put a brand new one on it flip the switch and watch it work. if you dont want to hassle with putting it on just get one unplug your other one and plug hat one in let it hang and listen to see if it switches out. when my 4x4 didnt work when I got my truck I hooked my jump it up to it on a bench test and it worked. then the motor looked fine. and thats what the problem was and the front oem ford hubs were shot so I had them put warn manual lockouts on it.

19. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Replaced mine Sunday and had the codes cleared today by a buddy of mine! Works fine now. The good part about it going when it did, it was still under warrenty!

20. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I bought one with a lifetime warranty