1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 351 Windsor wont start

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LIsnow15, Feb 3, 2016.

1. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

So I picked up this truck not running for a cheap enough price that it would be worth adding as a 2nd truck for this season. So far this season sucked here in NY. 1 storm so far. Did very well with my 89 chevy 2500, no breakdowns aside from windshield wiper blade and a small exhaust leak. Problems easily solved.
    This ford is going to be the death of me though.. here is the background:
    85 F250
    351Windsor with 2bbl carb
    Solenoid was replaced and wired incorrectly
    Rewired solenoid and replaced plugs/wires and it fired up.
    Didnt realize there was basically no gas in the tank, after driving up and down the block twice, it stalled out in the driveway. Tank was bone dry.

Added 5 gals of fuel, replaced fuel filter, nothing happened. Dead. Cranks forever.

Carb was not getting fuel, replaced the mechanical fuel pump.
    Carb is getting fuel, now not getting spark.
    Replaced the ignition coil, no spark.
    Replaced the electronic ignition module, now getting spark.
    Still wont start the damn truck

Everything listed here has now been replaced:
    Battery
    Alternator
    solenoid
    spark plugs
    spark plug wires
    ignition coil
    electronic ignition module
    fuel tank
    fuel filter
    fuel lines
    fuel pump

Any thoughts? Cranks with no hesitation but just will not fire up. Driving me nuts being this thing needed almost no work to get running and now im doing everything I can think of and dumping lots of additional money into a truck that just wants to fight me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

2 things.
    1) compression. I'm not thinking this is it, but it's the 3rd part in running.
    2) is it IN time?

3. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

Come to think of it, I dont think I checked the timing since it ran. When it was running it was definitely in time. I will have to take a look this weekend. Should still have compression,I have heard from somebody that there is a possibility of excess carb cleaner washing out the oil in the pistons and causing compression loss. Never heard of that previously though.

4. dieselss

That is a possibility.
    Have you tried a quick whiff of starting fluid or such?

Flooring it while trying to start to clear it out?

5. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

Tried both, wont fire. Im going to guess timing is the culprit here. Or maybe hope thats it. Either way I gotta get this running and at this point probably sold. Not worth putting a plow on it for this year and no place to store it at this point either

6. dieselss

Didn't say but, did you check the cap and rotor?
    When were you checking spark at?

7. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

yea I tried replacing cap and rotor about 2 weeks ago, no change. i swapped the electronic ignition module last weekend and checked spark at the ignition coil wire and at each plug and its good.

8. dieselss

Ok just throwing it out there.
    I'd try timing then
    Was.It the proper ign control box?

9. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

Yes, I matched up the box with the one in the store before trying it. Didnt want to cause more difficulties. I will check on the timing saturday. Fingers crossed!

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Not a furd guy
    But do thoes have a crank or cam position sensor?
    Just thought I'd take a swing at it.;)

11. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Pull the distributor cap off, move the crank back and forth, there maybe alot of slop in the timming chain

12. dieselss

Not it 1985. has the "hall effect" in the distributor. And the spark computer.

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Diesels, whens the last time ya used a timming light?

Ok, you are getting gas, you did check for a good spark. The rotor turns when cranking engine. Put it up on top dead center. Is the rotor on # 1 cylinder. If it was low on compression it would be spinning over very fast. Does it backfire at all, even try to fire.
    Throw some picks up of the old girl.

14. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

Got a few ideas to try this weekend when I have some time. Gonna check on the timing, also going to check if the plugs got soaked and just not sparking. I tested the wire, havent checked on the plugs now that I think about it. Ill check if the timing chain is loose as well.

No backfires, just cranks and cranks.

Ill snap a pic or two later, all I have now is this one, side by side with the Chevy
    [​IMG]

15. Randall Ave

Just crank it and check with a timming light. If you use starting fluid, or carefully pour a little gas in the carb, it doesn't fire, or backfire at all?

16. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

no fire, no backfire, nothing. im starting to think either its out of timing or maybe plugs got soaked and need to be cleaned out?

17. Randall Ave

If it was out of time, I would think it would backfire. You probably have no spark. Take the coil wire off the cap. With insulated pliers, hold the wire to something metal on the engine. Have someone crank it over. Should get a good crisp spark. Should jump I'd day 3/8 inch spark.

18. LIsnow15

LIsnow15 Junior Member

definitely have spark. shocked myself quite a few times already checking

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Check the rotor, make sure its keyed in right, hell spin the motor to make sure its spins itself.

20. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Make sure the motor is spinning when cranking. I had a flex plate snap around all the bolts once the starter would spin just that and nothing else.