1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 2wd

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Streetrodder, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Streetrodder

Streetrodder Junior Member

Okay here goes, I'm new to the site so please bare with me.

I have an 89 F250 2WD thats in fairly good condition. Its got the 460 with 5-spd ZF trans in it. For the most part the truck is in good working order. I used to be a Lt truck/ auto tech for years so the truck isn't falling apart. Prior to leaving the Ford dealer I rebuilt the whole front end (tie rods, ball joints, shocks) and aligned it. That was about a year ago. Now I have never seriously entertained this idea before, but I have a limited budget this year. After years of wrenching, I decided to get into the restaurant business. Being the owner of a small business is not an easy task and I'm sure most of you can understand that. With the cost of having to insulate and replace a furnace, and other unexpected expenses and repairs, I'm about wiped out for the year. Otherwise, I'd love to just get a new truck or a decent used one.

Now I was wondering if I can put a plow on this truck and use it for my parking lot. Its not very big, 100 x 150 at most and its a perfect square. It is flat, and I don't plan on plowing anywhere else but here and maybe my driveway at home, slight incline there. Now prior to plowing with this thing, I will definitely be replacing the clutch and replacing the tires with some LT265/75R16 Goodyear MT/Rs for some much needed traction. I gather I will need a lot of weight over the rear axle. I don't plan on plowing with this truck forever. If I can keep the lot clear for the most part, and get through this year, I'd be more than happy. Maybe next year, I can find a used F series Super Duty and have the plow swapped. Any thoughts to this are welcome. Again, I'm not trying to clear the local Walmart lot or compete for anyone's business. I've looked at many used trucks around here, but they either want too much for rusty piles or theres nothing else decent around. I do have a guy thats plowing for us right now, but he does have a steady job too and frankly, if it got too heavy, I wouldn't even chance it and just have him push for us. The only trouble is keeping the lot clear when he isn't available during the day. I don't think patrons want to pull into a covered lot, and that could be the difference between having business or having an empty dining room that day. Thanks for your time.

2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

I wouldnt bother spending all that money on a plow just to put it on a 2 wheel drive... i dont even think the front axle is rated for it... you will end up paying all that money and still needing to hire a plow guy!!!! also seeing how you have a plow guy that doesnt do it full time, you may want to think of replacing him with someone that would be able to keep your lot clear... you have many people at your location at all times, what happens if someone falls? whos to blame??? you plow it, its your falt..... dont get me wrong, i do this for a living, if someone gets hurt, im to blame, im just keeping your eyes open!!!!