1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150's

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JT's Plowing, Sep 8, 2011.

1. JT's Plowing

JT's Plowing Junior Member
    from 01756

Hey I was just looking at the black trucks thread and I wanted to know how an f150 handles snow plowing. Everyone I know last year strongly advised against installing one on my truck. I was just wanting first hand accounts on how the truck holds up after a season of plowing. Thanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The problem with F-150's are they are a light duty truck. You can plow your drive,Mom and Dad's maybe Grandma's. But when you go past that duty and start doing 24 hours at a time, you run in to trouble. They are not built for that amount of hard work. You break parts and wear out expensive parts like transmissions and transfer cases.Your brakes wear out way quicker. Unless you can really wrench ALL your own repairs you will behind the 8 ball all the time trying to make money. Most trucks will take their 10% of the cut. Be it a tire, U-joint, total tune up or brake parts. Think long and hard before you put a plow on a F-150.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The problem with F-150's are they are a light duty truck. You can plow your drive,Mom and Dad's maybe Grandma's. But when you go past that duty and start doing 24 hours at a time, you run in to trouble. They are not built for that amount of hard work. You break parts and wear out expensive parts like transmissions and transfer cases.Your brakes wear out way quicker. Unless you can really wrench ALL your own repairs you will behind the 8 ball all the time trying to make money. Most trucks will take their 10% of the cut. Be it a tire, U-joint, total tune up or brake parts. Think long and hard before you put a plow on a F-150.

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

You can use a F150 just keep in mind It's a 1/2 not superduty driveways and (small) lots is only thing I use mine for

5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I plow with my f150 and love it. I have however done alot to it to try and beef it up for the snow. take it easy if you do end up putting a plow on it

6. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i installed a 8 ft steel boss plow on a '98 f150 auto 4.2 v6. its run commercial by a company and has done 2 seasons plowing. mind you it had 175k miles on it when the plow was installed.. we added a set of timbrens and the owner says its worked flawlessly so far in 2 seasons. its also used a mow crew truck in the summer.

[​IMG]

7. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I think a big part of this is beefing the front end up and how you take care of it. If you beat the truck up constantly while plowing then you will have big problems.

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

A lot depends on two things: 1) How much plowing you're going to do, and 2) What year F-150 you're talking about.

For #1, I'd say an F-150 is good for occasional plowing.

As for #2, the older F-150's were actually (in my opinion) able to take more of a beating than the new ones are. Said another way, they were way over-built. As for the newer (2010 & up) F-150's, you're never going to put a plow on one anyway. Ford will void your warranty and no reputable plow manufacturer even offers a plow to fit one.

9. JT's Plowing

from 01756

right now I own a 2004 fordf150 lariat supercab 4x4. I was mainly interested in doing some driveways this year if I can get a decent plow. I checked and my truck does have the heavier front axe 3900lbs capacity. If I took on like say 5-10 driveways, average sized around here say maybe 40-50ft do you think thats over doing it?

10. Too Stroked

Generally speaking, I'd say you'd be fine. Now if you were in the great white north, that might be another story.

11. JT's Plowing

from 01756

I guess I might try it then.... I really dont feel like buy another truck right now and I really like the one I have. I can buy a half-way decent plow for a couple thousand or so and still pay my truck off. Last year here in Massachusetts we got hammered and I was kicking myself for now plowing. I will look into a plow for my truck and will probably install a set of timbrens to help it out.

12. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

trans cooler would be a good idea

13. JT's Plowing

from 01756

yeah where could i get one of those? Also what size plow should I go for?

14. JT's Plowing

from 01756

You think a 6.5' is too small for a 150?

15. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

check summitracing.com They have a great selection of coolers.

I run a 6'6 on my ranger, I would say a 6.5 is to small. Maybe a 7.5 poly would be better

16. 91AK250

BOSS does make a plow mount for the 09-10 f-150s. i know because i've installed a few with 7'6" plows.

17. cooker

cooker Junior Member

I plowed for the last 12 years with a 1997 f150 4x4 supercab with a 7.5 ft fisher standard duty with no truck or plow problems ever. Just need to use your head. Its a pick up truck with plow not a bulldozer. Im putting a7.5 western on my 08 f150 this week.

18. Too Stroked

I stand corrected. Anything with Electric Power Steering (EPS) which I believe is 2011 and up, you won't find a plow for though.

19. JD822

JD822 Member

To be corrected again,Sno-Way Series 26

20. 91AK250

and the 6.2L f-150s do not have EPS so technically you could use a older kit on them.