1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 Worth it?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowformoney, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Plowformoney

Plowformoney Junior Member

I can get a 1991 F150 1/2 ton with 4 in lift 33in tires etc. for $1,500. its got 164,000K miles. Is it worth putting a plow hitch and wiring etc to make it plow ready? Itd be used for parking lots etc.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

NOPE.. Keep looking..

The 4" lift and the 33tires would have to go....

Lift kits are made up of tall SOFT springs they will not hold up the weight of a plow.

The front will sag a lot with a plow.

The 33" tire is to much for that little truck and they are no good in the ice/snow.

The large tires are hard on every thing up front, from ball joints to bearings to drive shafts. ect, ect..

Better off with one that has not been modified for anything...

I would pass on this truck.......

Think 3/4 ton.... cheep ones are out their, don't buy the first truck you look at...

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with sno. Raised trucks and big tires suck for plowing.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With that amount of miles on a truck your in the danger zone. The Punishment of Plowing will push elderly parts over the edge. It could get expensive quickly when a tranny pops or an axle's ring & pinion grenades it's self. A 1/2 ton is light duty for plowing anyway, so stuff will break with severe use. Your better off with a 3/4 ton with lower miles.

5. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Definately not worth it for a 150.

-Thann

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we just sold our 1991 f 150 this year to a salvage yard for $600. it could not handle the work a contractor puts a truck through.

7. Plowformoney

Well Im buyin it today and Im gonna give her a shot.

I will take it real easy and take my time, whats the insentive to hurry when you get paid by the hour? haha

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Incentive??

If you do not do enought work in that hr you will get fired. ha! Ha!!!xysport

we use to pay by the hr then the guys started to think like you..
    Now we pay by the job...go slow no dough.....

9. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Lowballer?

I bet your a lowballer too! Well, I'll there to take over your job when you get canned payup
    Not many people will hire you if they even see your pushing something that needs pushing!

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

He asked, we told him, good luck.

11. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I know everyone has told you not to go with the f-150 and lift. I have a 95 f-150 with 160,000 miles and it is fine, it does not have a lift but if you add air bags to the front springs you should be ok. You will have to add a spacer inside the spring for the airbag to do what it is meant to do. I also have a set of 31.5 x 10.5 x 15 mud tires on it, and i have not had a problem with traction at all. I really like the mud tires the snow/slush seems to really clean out of the tread nicely. My 95 plows snow just as good as the POS 2000 chevy 2500 i owned. They are alot cheaper to replace parts, and if you just get lifetime warrenty parts you are golden.

12. Plowformoney

Thats cool. Yea i just put on the Meyer undercarraige, electrical,pump, etc, I think she will do just fine.:redbounce

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just sold our 94 F150 (heavy half ton) It was like new though and well taken care of. It had a 3" body lift and 31x10.50x15 tires and tons of new stuff, it looked and ran like new and just sold it for $5300.00 with a Meyers plow. It plowed ok but its not the 3/4 ton we just bought. Just don't get crazy with it and it might last you a couple of years. You will definetly need an air bag system for the front coil springs. Ours had 3/4 ton front coils,air bags and 2 front heavy load shocks per side and the plow still dropped the front end a little but without any of that extra stuff it will sagg onto the tire I bet.