1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 with Fisher, dumb battery question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Menghi08F150LT, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Menghi08F150LT

Menghi08F150LT Junior Member

Hi guys, I read here now and then but never post but once in a blue moon.

Over the summer, the truck I use to plow my driveway and my family's driveway, a 2008 F150 with a 5.4, died on the road and it was diagnosed as an alternator and replaced. At this time, the dealer told me that if I have a plow (obviously I do with the controls in the bay), that I should consider upgrading my battery. I never thought about it until now.

Well, in recent cold days I decided to start it up only to find that it died over the course of me letting it sit for a little while, about a month maybe. I charged it, it started and overnight it lost it's charge, so I'm going to assume that in that time the battery decided to short a cell or whatever. My initial "test" of sticking a volt meter on the system when it was running showed it's charging okay, so that's the good news. It's also the original Motorcraft battery (between 550 and 600 CCA, I forget), in my other truck the same exact battery lasted less than two years. I pulled it out last night in the 14 degree weather and it's sitting in my garage awaiting my verdict on it.

Question is, what size should I consider for amperage? Should I go just for a regular special or find a deep cycle or a dual purpose (like from a boat)? I'm hoping to keep it at a slightly low price (I'm on a tight budget with the holidays) and I don't want to upgrade the alternator or upgrade to a two-battery setup since I only plow a few driveways, and we haven't even gotten any snow yet.
  2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Go with the highest CCA battery that will fit in the truck. I have allways had good luck with the motorcraft batteries, I even know guys who have purchased motorcrafts for in other vehicles, "ie, GM,DODGE"
    I have also seen "more times than I can count" where a bad battery ruins the altenator. Now your dealer screwed up, since they put in a new altenater, they should have asked you if you wanted to upgrade the alt. to a higher output, not the battery.