1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150: Upgrade Torsion Bars or Timbrens?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jhenegh, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Looking to see what others have done when they hang a plow on their F150. I've got a 1999 with a Sno-way 26D and I cant decide which route to go. Getting the heavier duty 7700 torsion bars or installing Timbrens.

Torsion bars are $185 shipped (from Tasca Ford) and Timbrens are a little over $200. I know the torsion bars will be harder to install, if not impossible on a truck this old and with 12 winters of rust underneath it. Still free of body rust and I wash it religiously, but the underside is still turning red.

The bumpstops on the front of the frame are getting rusty was well (Ford made them the shape of a cup, with a 1/4 drain hole:gunsfiring:, which plugs...?:dizzy:) so I might run into some issues bolting the Timbrens on?

I'm leaning towards the torsion bars because of the "factory" fit, but I'd like your input too.

Thanks

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I've been running stock on my 1999 Ford F150 short bed for 4 years with a Snoway 26. I'm been thinking of going the Timbren route.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

As someone that has done both, I would say Timbrens. Torsion bars are kinda a pain to install. If you don't have a lift, even harder. Pay the extra and timbren all day long. If you didn't, crank up the torsion bars as well