1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 Setup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GTZ, Aug 10, 2001.

1. GTZ

GTZ Junior Member

Hello everyone, what a great source of info. This comming winter will be my first plowing and have spent the day reading many of your posts. I need some advice on how best to set up my truck - Thank You in advance for any input.

1995 Ford F150 Ext Cab, 302, 4x4
    Front GVWR = 3,100 lb (not the 3,800 lb)
    Rear GVWR = 3,770 lb
    GVWR = 6,250

Truck ia also an everyday vehicle, and used to pull the pop-up camper into the great north woods a few times a summer

*South-eastern Wisconsin snow - lake effect sometimes gives us
    wet snow
    * 4 - 5 commercial lots, small
    * 5 - 10 residential driveways (concrete or paved only)

What I currently intend to do:
    * New Perelli Scorpion A/T's P255/75/R15
    * Timbren Load Boosters front & rear
    (rear - I intend to ballast with 400 - 600 lbs?)
    * New Snoway 2490, 7 or 7 1/2' plow w/Down Pressure System
    (420-432 lbs.)
    * Moog Cargo Springs in front (variable rate springs)
    * All fluid maintenance

Is this all I can do to protect against killing my F150, or is there more.
    I know I can get a different truck with appropriate set up, but I really want to keep the Ford.

Again, Thanks

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Wanna protect your F-150????

Buy a chevy and use it to Plow!!!!!;)

No I am not kidding!

;) Welcome to the wonderful wackiness that is Snow and Ice Removal

Jeff

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The weight difference between the Series 24 and Series 25 Sno-ways in the 90" width is only about 40 lbs. The 25 has beefier push arms on the swing frame and higher downpressure. Going to the 8' moldboard would clear better and keep your rear wheels from treading int he snow on turns quite so bad. I would not even consider running a 7' plow on a full size truck, you're barely able to clear your wheel track when angled. I'm not sure what the extra cost is but it's worth the few extra pounds and dollars. As far as the truck handling it, I run 8' Series 25s (2596, I think) on S-10s, so the 150 would do fine with them.

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

We love our 150 !

I've had with a couple of them over the last few years. Do take Alans advice though, and don't use a 7' plow. That wouldn't make sense.

We keep talking about picking up a couple more of them just for driveway trucks. My short box 150 with no tailgate, and a Western Pro is the easiest truck to operate that I have used.

Look at how immensly popular the 1/2 ton 80's dodges were for driveway trucks! Around here there are still many of them with front and back blades in commercial use.

One of my subs has a 150 with the 302, and loves it. He does better on gas than our 300 sixes while plowing.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Auto trans or standard? If automatic, get a good transmission fluid cooler installed.

And while actually plowing, make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting from "D" to "R" and vice versa. Heat, and shifting while still moving (even if you're just barely moving) will "do in" a transmission very quickly.

I'd be inclined to go with the 8' Sno-Way, no smaller than 7' 6" for a full size truck.

Don't forget about the charging system, running lights/heater/plow powerpack etc puts a lot of strain on the battery & alternator. You may want to install a higher-output alternator & heavy-duty battery depending on what's in your truck now.

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone's made some good points so far. You would be very unhappy with a 7' blade on a truck that long. I have a Chevy K1500 extended-cab that I plow with using a 7.5' SnoWay 25 Series, and I love it. Yes, an 8'-foot blade would've been better, but I have to get into some pretty tight spots, as well as in-between some very expensive cars, so the added width would not have been very practical to me.

I was feeling pretty much the same way you are when I started loading up my 1/2-ton for plowing. Here's what I've done to mine:

1. Air Lift air bags in the rear
    2. Powermaster 200-amp alternator
    3. Optima (red-top) battery
    4. B&M 19,000-lb. GVW Transmission cooler
    5. Changed EVERY fluid in the truck before the season starts

I didn't get any load boosters for mine because I run a salt spreader on the back that acts as pretty decent ballast, but I think in your application, it would be a good idea.

For more ideas, check out these web-sites:

http://www.snowplowing-sontractors.com
    http://www.snow-source.com
    http://www.sima.org
    http://snowplownews.com

Good luck!

-Tim

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Junior Member
    from usa

You'll gonna learn alot! But I feel Jeff summed it up. A man who knows what he's talking about.

Nothin but 8', dont waste your money. Your first time plowing? You won't have time for all that plowing you listed! Better to stick
    the driveways, there's no time frame. You gotta learn how to plow
    to take care of your truck. This is an art. Yes, stopping before you shift is a start(DUH). Plow wrong you'll tear up your truck no matter what you got. Don't be a plow jockey. You should probably talk to someone in the know and not someone who
    has nothing better to do with there time than to sit here and punch keys between eating their peanut butter and jelly sandwich
    with potato chips on it.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is 9' Piles back?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2001
  9. GTZ

GTZ Junior Member

Thanks for all your input.

Just so you all know that "Pilgrim" guy is a friend of mine, I'll slap him up up next time I see him. He's a Chevy guy too, yet he's a big Rusty Wallace fan (Ford) - Hey Rusty, where did you put that water hose? :confused:

Truck has automatic transmission w/ cooler
    Thanks for the reminder on the alternator

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

That truck's front end is very light duty.My S10 has a 2700 lb front end.Chevy has 3925 lb IFS.At 3100 lb that axle is not likely to hold up long with any plow on it.I bet there is 2500+ on it without a blade-find a good front end shop,you'll be there a few times this season.I sold a 7 1/2 Fisher to guy with an F150,told him it was to much weight for a Ford,he wanted it anyway,the truck had the 3100 lb axle.the truck is a 95 300I6,in 2 storms,he blew the hubs,broke the U-joints ion the front end,and burnt the clutch.Yes he is abusive,but he F150 is not very strong either.