1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 plowing while towing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motorider000, Feb 27, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

I was talking to a guy the other day that is going snowmobiling up north next week. The road to his cabin is about 2 miles and it is unplowed. He plans on taking his plow (7 1/2 western) from indianapolis to the U.P. while towing a 25 foot enclosed snowmobile trailer with 5 sleds in it and four guys with all their gear in a 1997 f150 ext cab 4x4. He thinks that he will plow his way in with the trailer in tow (i guess that would be alot of ballast). He has never done this and i told him that he is crazy and should just have the road subbed out. But he insists on doing it himself. How far do you think he will get? just needed to vent.
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You didn't say how much snow was sitting on this 2 mile stretch of road or whether it was paved or not, but I'll assume it's dirt. If it's more than 3 or 4 inches of snow I'd say he's nuts. If when he gets to the entrance to the road, he un-hooks the trailer, plows the road and comes back for it that would make more sense. Weight for ballast is one thing, but adding the strain of plowing a 2 mile dirt road with a significant amount of snow on it to the strain of towing a trailer is too much for an old F-150 I think. :nono:
    The tranny will be smoking by the end of that road.
  3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ya the lil 150 proboly won't have the power but he'll just hafta take the trailer off then plow.
  4. motorider000

He did state how much snow is on the road but I do not believe that it has been plowed much this year. The road is dirt. I was worried about how bad the truck will heat up just driving up there.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If for some reason there is too much snow in any spot and he gets bogged down and stopped he'll be screwed. Backing up a trailer that long and only having a 7' path to back it up in will stink. I say he gets in a ways and then gets stuck with the trailer. Then he has to un hook the trailer and shovel a bit, then he can continue plowing the road and comeback for the trailer.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Every night I go plowing I do a small area of the parking lot where I will be parking the trailer, tractor, snowblower etc. first before disconnecting the trailer. It's a PITA but the truck doesn't mind. Obviously mine is a little bigger but I don't see why if he takes it easy and the snow isn't too deep that he couldn't wing it off on his way thru...
  7. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Well I'm guessing the trans will be toast either before he even gets there...or shortly afterwards.

Hauling 5 people and 5 sleds is going to be taxing enough on a 150. Additionally tossing a plow on the front and driving any distance like that can't be a good idea. Not only that....but he's going to be WAY over his legal GVW/GVCW.

Let us know how he makes out.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

would that be a 6 or 5.0
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

He didn't say if it was an automatic or a stick--a stick probably couldn't care less.

What is the GVR of an F150?

I am figuring his would add up as so:

Truck 5000lbs
    Trailer 1000lbs
    5x500lb sleds 2500lbs
    4x200lb adults 800lbs
    misc. 500lbs
    plow 500lbs
    10300lbs. Yup you're right that is awful heavy for an F150. Obviously its only a rounded guess but still...

Just to be safe I would drop the trailer and clear the road then come back. He might be able to do it but realistically for the 10 mins work of hitching and unhitching, why risk it? If you are concerned about the trailer leave 1-2 people there with it, the plowing wouldn't take long.

Depending how far it is, he probably shouldn't carry the blade on the nose that whole way either. The trip there would probably be harder on it then than the plow job.
  10. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

He will probably make it up there fine as long as he takes it easy, and watches the gauges to keep the temp down. May want to keep it out of overdrive.

Thats just to the entrance of the road. After that its a different story. At the very least Id disconnect the trailer before plowing the road. And hope he can even plow the road. Assuming it hasnt been regularly plowed, some of that snow is probably hard as a rock from all the warming and cooling cycles Michigan has had lately. No telling how deep it is. Not only that, but its just a 7 1/2 ft plow. A 25 ft trailer with 5 sleds is gotta be 8 ft wide, wider than the plow path. So if he thinks hes gonna just drive and plow with one pass, hes gonna be not only pulling the trailer, but pulling the trailer through the snowbanks left by the plow. And constantly backing up that trailer for 2 miles is gonna get real old real quick. Thats assuming he doesnt get stuck, or slide off the edge, or get into a tight corner.

All this after driving from Indianapolis, which has probably at least 7 hours just to the bridge. Id like to know how he did. Hopefully he has done this before.
  11. motorider000

He has never taken the plow with him before and about half the time he takes his buddies 2500. Yes the 150 is an automatic.
  12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

On the upside, he has plenty of people with him to help shovel.
  13. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Sounds crazy we go in my buddies 2000 F350 v10 automatic 4 place enclosed 4 guys and gear. That trailer is a parachute behind the truck, with a blade on front it has got to overheat. Most 4 place enclosed trailers go an easy 2500 lbs empty.
  14. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

And push.... :p :eek:
  15. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

yea thats a lot of work for that ford, even if it was a 1 ton thats till some load with a plow.
  16. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Chances are the snow is so packed in the road from warming and freezing and possibly from snowmobiles he won't be able to do much. Oh well, all he has to do in clear enough to get off the road and then ride the sleds in.