1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 Plow Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by misgur, Dec 28, 2009.

1. misgur

misgur Junior Member

I have a 2006 F150 4X4 XLT Ext Cab truck that I am looking to put a plow on for 2 or 3 residential driveways.

I like the Fisher HT plow because it uses hydraulic downward pressure and it's not too heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone have a plow on their 150?

2. piperpm

piperpm Member

We do residential and small commercial
    Run the Air Flow 7.5' Carbon Steel blade
    Good weight for backdrag and a very sturdy plow
    Also run Timbrens on front end and good set of tires
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

4. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

If my boss saw this question he would say, "Yep, my advice would be to sell that wimpy thing and buy nothing less than a 3/4 ton to plow.
  5. misgur

misgur Junior Member

I agree with him, a 3/4 ton would handle much better; however, I have this pickup already and I will be buying a bmw (i'm in need of a new toy) in the spring so I figure I might as well put it to good use. Besides, it will only be a few driveways
  6. Spikeo

Spikeo Junior Member

I put an HT on my 2001 F150 Super Cab Last week. I have plowed a few times with it, I am very happy so far. I had snow banking's on the sides of my driveway that had really frozen over. I was able to push them back with no problem. The back dragging really did a nice clean up job.
  7. misgur

misgur Junior Member

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that. I appreciate the feedback! I've basically made up my mind on that model after doing research and hearing what people have to say about it. It seems like it offers a lot for such a lightweight design. I'm extremely eager to get mine now.
  8. svt2205

svt2205 Member

The HT looks to be a nice combo for our F150's. I'm now on season number 2 with my 7.5' SD Fisher plow on my 07 F150. While a heavier duty truck is always a good idea. Our F150's can certainly do the job.

Two things that are worth mentioning. Be sure to add your plow to your insurance. It will bump it up a good amount, but you certainly don't want your insurance company to not cover you in the event something happens. And be prepared for dealers to sock it to you at trade in time. Especially Ford dealers, they love to play games at trade in time. (Ford doesn't recommend plowing with a F150) It provides them or so they think, reason to give you less on the trade.

Let us know how things go.
  9. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Personally I love my Boss 7.6" poly sport. The only thing I wish I had done different would have been to go with the poly SD because I now think that the truck could have taken the extra 200lbs on the front end as long as I have enough ballast in the back.

As you can see, It piles nice and this is a big lot I do, plus I do 4 other big lots and 10 resi's and have had no issues with it. This is my 4th season running it.

10. misgur

misgur Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback,

Love the picture! I have the dark gray with extended cab. Real nice truck.

Did you do any modifications to the suspension at all? The HT plow is only 414 pounds. I'll put a ballast on but a lot of guys talk about leveling kits and timberans/heavier springs in the front.
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ya, lot's of people. An HT would work great. Go for it!
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  12. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

i have a 2005 f150 super cab short box xlt with the 5.4l and i run a snoway mt series 7'6" w/ down pressure w/ a steel blade. so far it works great i run 450 pounds of ballast and this truck will plow anything a 3/4 ton will do.
  13. misgur

misgur Junior Member

ah, here's the catch. I only have the 4.6L engine ;)
  14. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i run a curtis sno pro 3000,on my 150 with 4.6.pushes the plow just fine.carries it nice to,the plow wieghs 750 pounds,i added timbrens so that helps.
  15. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I have a leveling kit in the front and I run about 600lbs of ballast at the rear. I also have timberens on the rear, but that's not for the plow, that's for towing my carhauler. Actually, even the leveling kit was not on there for the plow originally, I put it on so I could run 33s, but I would recommend it for the plow.
  16. pumpitup

pumpitup Junior Member

Have a 2001 F 150 4x4 with 4.6 L engine and just took delivery of a MD 75 Snow Dogg plow with Stainless steel blade. Running it with suggested ballast of about 650 + lbs of salt/ bags of sand and patio blocks at about 90 lbs a crack. I didn't have Timbrens in at first, but they were on order and I found the front end very soft in traveling and did touch down once, when I hit a deeper hollow in the road. The Timbrens arrived and I installed on the front and no more sag and it lifted the truck up one inch as well. No problems anymore and she plows great!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  17. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

I have benn running my 99 F-150 for 8 years with a 7' 6' steel meyers. 500lb shur trax in the bed and it pushes great.

Christmas 2009 029.jpg
  18. nobullfrogs

nobullfrogs Junior Member

I put a 8' Boss Power-V on my 06 Ford F150 Crew Cab last winter. So far...so good. This truck moves snow as well as the 3/4 tons we have. I beefed up the front end with timbrens and spacers and about 500#'s in the ass-end. Also added 2nd battery.
  19. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i herd the western HTS is a nice on for a f150
  20. beaugross

beaugross Member

nobullfrogs...could you send a pic of your f-150 with the power v on it to me....what all did you have to do to it to get it to suppost the weight of a boss v plow