1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 plow questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Northeastguy23, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Northeastguy23

Northeastguy23 Junior Member

Hello I am looking to put a plow on my 07 F150 XLT 5.4 Triton x-cab. Right not I am considering the Fisher HT and SD, the Sno-way 26 series, and the blizzard 7600LT. Dealer location is not an issue because there is a dealer in town that sells all 3. I would be using this plow to do my own driveway and maybe one or two more, as well as a part of the road in front of my business which is only partially plowed by the city and is about 100' long and 10 feet wide or so. The issue I have is that the road surface is not the best and has a fair amount of potholes and bumps in the road. Will these plows be durable enough to handle the poor surface and snowbanks that will easily get over a foot tall? Which of the above plows would people recommend? Any information would be very helpful.

2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well take a look at what kind we use and thats our answer!

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Have used the fisher 7 1/2 HD for 24 years (used to be called the RD). I plow 87 drives so they hold up. dont know about lighter duty plows.

4. Northeastguy23

I appreciate the input but I really am trying to keep the plow under 500 pounds. This is my everyday truck and do not want to put a whole lot of wear and tear to it. The drive from my home to work is about 15 miles and carrying too much extra weight like that on the highway worries me a little, Perhaps I'm too cautious but I admittedly am new to this (I'm sure that's obvious).

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

just make sure the plow doesnt exced the fawr and if you want you can add a st of timbrens. the truck will hold up as long as you take care of it and maintain it

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

take the plow off to go to work. takes 2 min.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Fisher SD. It's alot better plow than the HT IMO. The SD obviosly alot more rugged than the HT.

8. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

But, he uses the plow at work.......All other days I agree with you.

9. Northeastguy23

Yes I will be needing the plow at work especially and its this spot that makes it difficult on which plow. If I only needed to do a few driveways I would get the Fisher HT due to its slightly lower price and scrape lock feature. I get the feeling though that it would not be rugged enough to withstand the space in front of my business. Does the SD get a close scrape to the ground? I have heard the HT seems to get closer to the pavement due to the scrape lock feature. Anyone running a sno-way setup for a similar use? Just want to get as much info as I can before I make a purchase.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The SD scrapes realy well. It has a poly cutting edge on it wich can be replaced with a steel cutting edge if you want it to scrape a little better.

11. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

Your f-150 will do everything your gonna ask it to do. I use to use a 07 f150 to plow 2 large gas stations, 1 strip mall, cpl private rds, and 32 private drives. Your truck can carry a half tom plow with ease. When you gotta plow your business, leave early and drive slow. I was very happy with the performance of the truck. I used a Blizzard 760 lt that is for sale now. No rust, cutting edge is perfect. wrks perfect. It always cut down to pavement even when heavy snow was packed down. bolt on your truck. Det, mich area. Message me if your interested. Timbrens are included w/the sale. $3200 obo.. Best of luck with all you snow adventures!!

12. Northeastguy23

Thanks for all the info. I think I have it down to the fisher SD and Sno-way 26. The SD seems to be the front runner but still looking for any additional imput!

13. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

F-150 plow ?

This is what I have , been running this for 4 seasons now not I problem, Sno-way 26 with down-pressure and wireless remote. The only way to go!!! New F-150.jpg

New F-150.jpg

14. Northeastguy23

That's a sweet set up you have there. I'm a little bit jealous lol. What type of plowing have you done with it? Has the truck and plow ever plowed over a foot?

15. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Yes it has , but normally if there is that much predicted, it will get plowed at 6" and not let it get to 12. I have a tire filled with concrete in the bed for ballast (700#). It is not in the bed in the pic , that is why the front sags a little, evens right out with proper ballast and better traction as well. The down pressure is a great feature for back-dragging, and the wireless is the cats-ass. Just remember where it is as they are expensive to replace. I don't think you would do wrong in getting one of these for your truck. As far as what I plow now days, I just do my own and a few friends and of course my mother's drive

16. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Yes it has , but normally if there is that much predicted, it will get plowed at 6" and not let it get to 12. I have a tire filled with concrete in the bed for ballast (700#). It is not in the bed in the pic , that is why the front sags a little, evens right out with proper ballast and better traction as well. The down pressure is a great feature for back-dragging, and the wireless is the cats-ass. Just remember where it is as they are expensive to replace. I don't think you would do wrong in getting one of these for your truck. As far as what I plow now days, I just do my own and a few friends and of course my mother's drive. This is my second Sno-way, I had one on a 2004 F-150 for 4 years and it too served me well.

17. Northeastguy23

Thanks for all the info, it really helps and is greatly appreciated.

18. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Let us all know what you decide and of course pictures are always welcome. Good luck!

19. Northeastguy23

I will share, may not be buying right away to avoid inseason costs but will certainly post when I make a decision and mount it.