1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 help asap

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gman75, Nov 22, 2010.

1. gman75

gman75 Junior Member
    from ohio

i have a 1998 f150 ext. cab 4x4

the local meyer guys told me i couldn't put the plow i have on it.
    it's a real old meyer 7.5 steel that i fixed up. e 47 pump with old pin locking mount
    a couple places said you can't put a plow on an f150 ext. cab no matter what. i know i've seen tons with them, but that doesn't make it right.

also does anyone know about a 86M ford option code? the guy told me if my truck has this then it's ok to put a plow on. where do i find this?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

can i plow

you should be able to put a plow on it ,you really need a 3900 lb front gross Axel weight rating . but if it is a little bit light you can put timbren load boosters on it run about 750 lb of ballast behind the Axel in the bed . the only thing holding you back is the mount kit that you have and wiring ,depends on the truck it was on before .
  3. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Try to locate the mount to fit that truck. Even if the blade is overweight, the mount should be the same for all blades that year. So I'm sure a meyer mount is available for a 1998 F150. Meyer ST 7.5 blades were intended for 1/2 ton vehicles. If this is what you have, It will be no problem.
  4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

You can do it with no problem. I have a 7.5 super Duty Boss on my super crew F150. My dealer would have put a V on if I had wanted it.
  5. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

plow parts

you can go to Meyers web site and put in your make and model and it will tell you which mount is for your truck
  6. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Hi Gman
    If you're gonna put the plow on you DEFINITALY want to get some sort of helpers for the front suspension.
    Also with an E-47 pump it sounds like you may have an older plow set up. If so you may have to make a custom push frame fit your truck. One other thing to watch is, if it is an older set up check the length of the
    A-frame on the plow, they made them in two different lengths. With the plow straight it may not make a difference, but depending on where and how the push frame will mount to your truck frame, when you angle the plow it may hit the corner of your bumper.
  7. gman75

gman75 Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the replies guys.

-first off, Meyers can get me the mount I need for my truck and the type of plow I need. Therefore I wouldn't need to go crazy looking for it.
    -regarding the lighting/wiring kits, I have the things needed for that also. Not a problem there.
    -if you guys think its possible with mods to the front suspension, what do I need to do, where do I look, etc.
    -also is it possible to add weight to the bed behind the rear axel and not do anything to the suspension
    -what is a timbrens load kit
    - if I do add weight, what do I use

Thanks again.
  8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If your gonna install a plow on an F-150, you DEFINETALY want to beef up your front suspension to carry the weight of the plow when you lift it.
    There are a few different types of add ons you can get for your front end. TIMBREN has one, it's a hard rubber tube that is shaped kinda like an hour glass. They are designed as a helper spring so that your regular springs start taking the load before it gets to these helpers. I know guys who have used these on the rear but not the front.
    FIRESTONE also has a system, it's an airbag that actually goes inside the coil spring. The nice thing about these is that you can adjust them, so that your regular springs take a little more or less of the load. then when your not using them you can just let the air out. I know a guy who used this setup on the front of his F-150 and he liked it. Check with your local 4x4 shop or auto parts stores to see what brands they sell.
    Adding some weight is allways a good idea, just not to much. Weight can be an advantage or a disadvantage if you use to much. As far as what to use, pretty much anything you want, but a good suggestion would be to use something that can also be used as an anti skid (ie sand, cat litter, bags of rock salt), that way if you would get stuck you can use some of it to assist with traction. Like I said pretty much anything and since your plowing I've allready stopped and shovelled snow into the back of my truck for weight. Yeh I know your saying this guys nuts BUT IT WORKED.