1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150--Can I plow a few big driveways with it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Richard O' Hara, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Richard O' Hara

Richard O' Hara Junior Member

I live in a very rural area and will be plowing about four driveways this winter for absentee neighbors (seasonal)...I have a 250-ft gravel/dirt driveway that is quite steep in the middle, and own a '97 F150. Is there any way to make this work for a year or is it not worth trying?

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

You can make it work but it might not be worth the cost. You would need to install air bags in the front shocks and get some ballast weight in the bed. I used my F-150 V8 for a year and it worked with a western on it. IT would also be helpful if the truck had 4x4 on it. Not the best setup but it would do the job. If u buy a plow u might want to get a poly plow i believe that they would be a little lighter weight.

3. ROFOTH

ROFOTH Junior Member

plowing with F150

You should be fine. I had six Burger Kings last year, and had no problems except for one. The biggest storm of the year and all the burger kings wanted thier lots done at the same time.Well I'm one man & one truck and I took on to much work for one person.Long story short I was able to keep one store, plus the rest of my contracts. Any how you should be fine just don't over work yourself. By the way my truck is a 83 F150.

1.JPG

4. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I had an 1980 F150 4X4 with the straight 6 cylinder motor and a Fisher straight blade. It plowed from 1980 to 1998 and went through me and my two brothers. It was never an ideal set up, but it always worked for us.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah, if you're careful and pay attention to the storm it will work, but as was said it's not the ideal situation.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It will do fine.

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If its 4X4 you wont have a problem. You should think about some Timbrens in the front to help with the weight and 500-600 LBS of weight in the back depending on what plow you get. You also want to make sure the truck has an anxilliary transmission cooler. Just go easy on it and your all set.

8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

It should be fine, don't get a poly blade, they are acually heavier than a regular blade.

9. Swinn

Swinn Member

I would get some timbrens. It really isn't a truck for big commercial use. I just put a 7.5ft Western pro plow and my truck handles it pretty well with 600lbs in the back. (no timbrens yet) After researching the poly plows I went with steel because the wieghts are just about the same. I tried to post a pick of the truck on here but I am not sure if I got it to work.

Plow2.jpg

10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i run a 97 F150 with a wester 7.6 pro plow . i do almost all comercial work had no major problems with the truck or plow.
    our biggest storm last year was about 11 - 14 and i kept up just fine with the bigger truck's.
    throw a good 300 - 600lbs in the bed and don't go crazy , your truck will be fine !