1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 auto trans lines

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by herb1001, Sep 4, 2012.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

On my 98 f150 the auto trans lines are leaking. Does anyone know what the deal would charge me for parts and what they would charge me for labor to replace. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get them fixed ASAP! If they break and you lose pressure on some transmissions it kills them! That year truck they should be all hard line, 1/4 inch dia, normal connection/ fitting stuff. If someone can do brakes lines they can replace the trans lines easy. A normal repair shop will have no problem replacing them.

3. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Ford dealer around here told me $500 to replace am I getting ripped off?

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Big time. I just did a set on a 01 the lines cost from the dealer 35 and 25 ea truck did not have an aux cooler maybe those are a little more? Took me little over half hour to install. total job was like 100. Thats prety much what you get from the stealership.

5. MickiRig1

The problem with some of the trucks are the quick connects they put on the lines. My Wife's Windstar had them. They tend to leak and Ford rapes you for them!
    I think they build stuff like that now, so some Mexican can assemble them! Make it stupid proof and a monkey can put it together! Different size fittings so it can only go together one way.

6. johnny-b-bad

johnny-b-bad Junior Member
    from NJ

Get them from rock auto... $20 each for preformed steel/rubber lines from dorman. Easy to replace, just a bit or a pain to snake around the heat shields everywhere.

7. brad96z28

For an extra 5 dollars a line and no shipping you will get a good quality part from the dealer.

8. MickiRig1

My Wife works part time for a Ford Dealer. I get her 25% discount. They order the parts and I don't even have to prepay. It still feels like I am being RAPED! You can't even do the lines anymore. They have all their connectors involved.

9. brad96z28

No conectors on these just flare nuts. Just checked my slips one was $19 one was $28 list!You could not ask for a more simple job.

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Wow, that's pretty harsh...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  11. MickiRig1

Your right they are regular flair nuts. I noticed a puddle under my F-250. Yep, cooling line rusted out. Standard 3/8's line, the standard fitting even fit. Plastic coated line. I called Ford and the lines are $75 & $85. If, they are even available still. I did one line repair for $15. Just 3 bends.