1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 and plow, should I or not??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PHS79, Dec 31, 2005.

1. PHS79

PHS79 Member

I currently plow mine and my nieghbors drive with a Kodiak 400 4X4 with 50" plow, but I am looking at buying a house and land that would make plowing the drives a 45 min job with the wheeler. So if I buy the property I will be looking to put a plow on one of my trucks, I have a 94 F150 reg cab long box 4X4 with a 300-6/5spd with 2.5" leveling kit in front and 1 ton springs in the rear. Or my good truck, a 05 F150 SC FX4 5.4L/auto.

It would be used for the drives at the new house, and maybe 75'X400' a parking lot for a friends business that is currently being plowed be a Jeep Wrangler with a 6.5' plow.

What do you think???
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  2. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have a 2003 F150 stand. cab 5.4L FX4 short box with a 7.6 Snow-Way and it works great.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If Your just doing your drive and a neighbors a light duty plow should do great.
    Just take your time and don't beat the truck up.
    If you get the bug like we have, you may have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton whatever brand truck and a big boy plow.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Use the 94 it seams to be set up better than the other one for plowing even if it is a stick.
    And you can put a big boy plow on it too.
    Then after you wear that truck out you can move the plow over to a 3/4 ton.
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

From what I have heard the 1994 F-150 4x4 is a cursed truck when it comes to plowing snow.

Used the new truck. Just make sure its got a trans cooler.

I would put a blizzard 760LT or a 760SW which were designed just for the F-150. One of the best of the small plows.
  6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Please, listen to Itsgottobegreen, I had a 94f150, and had TONs of problems with it. And I WASNT plowing with it even. I replaced 3 trannys in less than 6months, rear main, rear end, and TONS of other stupid crap.

Put it on the newer truck man, it'll save you money in the long run!
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a 94, and I havent had a single prob yet. I do maintain and baby my equipment.....Rob
  8. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

I think that there is another question to be asked here. For 1 season I used a 96 f150 with a meyer 7' blade and the tubular light rack and mount sys. Tore the hell out of the front end suspension with just the weight.

Met another fellow one night with the exact same truck except for one major item. He was having no problems at all. The major item was a factory install plow package. The underneath of his truck was totally beefed up. Heavier everything. Sold the truck before the next season.

9. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I plowed last year in a 95 F-150 ext cab long box and I didn't have a problem. Make sure that if you lift the truck (ie nose heavy) that you have it done professional.