1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 4x4 to plow or not to plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowpro2210, Feb 15, 2008.

1. snowpro2210

snowpro2210 Junior Member

Hello im a newbie to the snowplow industrie so go easy on me but my question is that i have just purchased a ford F150 4x4.I have a lawn care company that i run in the spring/summer and do leaf removal in the fall. So i was thinking of douing snowremoval in the winter now that i have a bigger truck. But the thing is is that the truck has 174,000 miles on it but you would never be able to tell from looking at it.I was affraid that with this many miles on the truck, it would be to hard on the transmition and other parts of the truck.am i write or should i be able to put a plow on it and if i could put a plow on it what kind would you recommend for that size truck.thanks mike

2. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

To plow or not to plow

Plowing is very hard on trucks period...mechanically and cosmetically (old or new). You just have to decide on how far you want to take this part of your business. Do you want to have a nice residential route mixed with a few small commercial or do you have your sites on some larger accounts.

As far as a plow for an F-150, you just need to talk to your local dealer and tell 'em what you got and they'll get you matched up with the right sized plow. I'm betting that a nice 7.5' with wings would work nice, might have to beef up the front end though. Even with 170,000 plus miles you can make that a good plow truck. A 3/4 ton would be a little better but work with what you got. It's kind of late to jump into plowing for this season anyways so you'll have lots of time to make the right decision.

Good luck

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I do the same as you. Lawns in the summer and plow in the winter. I put a 7.5 meyer on my f-150, and I think it has performed quite well. I put timbrens all around-huge advantage. And also I run anywhere from 300-700# of ballast throughout the day. The ballast really helps with traction, and evening out the weight of the plow. It'll be hard on the truck as it is with any truck. Just keep your eye on it with routine maintenance and you should be good. If you have a 98 like mine...I know that I would go with about 75% of the 7 1/2 plows on the market-some are a bit heavy though for your application. Pick your dealer first. Good luck, and lets see some pics.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

That is up there for the mileage, but if anything was to break it probably already did and was replaced. I would rather have a high mile truck that never had a plow than one with half the miles that has had a plow on it it's whole life. The brand is all up to your preference and dealer support. As others said, beef up the front end to help carry the plow weight.

6. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

I put a plow on my F250 with 340kmi on it:eek: haven't had to many prob's yet!! then again I only paid $90 for the truck:nod:

7. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

I put a plow on my F250 with 340kmi on it:eek: haven't had to many prob's yet!! then again I only paid $900 for the truck:nod: