1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150 3.5L Turbo

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BlizzardBeater, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Has anybody tried one of these 2011 F150's with the 3.5L turbo V6? A local ford dealer has a bunch of them with signs on them saying: "It will beat your buddie's V8". I have a hard time believing that it will haul a trailer up a hill the same as my 5.3L. I'm not interested in one, I'd just like to know if anybody's been behind the wheel of one yet.

2. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

I haven't driven one , but was talking to a Ford dealership tech yesterday and he said so far its been everything Ford has claimed it to be. They haven't had any problems with it so far either.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

There is a video from a pick up truck web site that put the eco-boost up against the Dodge and GM v8's. It was an impressive video. That little motor ROCKS. I have an 07 f350 with the 6.0 psd and really like my truck. I tow a takeuchi tl130 or a kobelco sr35 mini excavater almost daily, the tl130 on the trailer weighs about 11,600 Lbs. I wonder if the F150 with the eco-boost could handle it?

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Over the winters I do dealer trades for a Ford dealer and have driven both... to be honest its a quick motor. But the 5.0 V8's that I drove actually got better milage on the road!

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It may be able to do the job now. BUT, how long can it hang? After the 6.0 diesel. l I really don't trust Ford to have an engine live up to it's claims. A V6 do the job of a big V8? And have longevity? I would wait a see before I would buy one.

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Suposedly, Ford has put this motor through some pretty serious torture tests. If u have time, do a search for "F150 ecoboost torture test". Its a pretty good read. As for the 6.0 psd, I love mine. Its been a great truck and engine 98,400 trouble free miles. But I am thinking about trying the ecoboost, if it can handle towing my equipment and doing some snow plowing as well.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Twoing 11,000+ lbs. with a half ton = very bad idea :dizzy:

8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

It's rated for 11,300. as long as I don't exceed that what would be the problem? I wouldn't tow with the ecoboost as often as I do with my current truck. I was just thinking about trying something new.

9. MickiRig1

I just do not trust Ford on a first year Vehicle! I have bought a few first year vehicles, They ended up visting the dealership way too often! Anymore, I wait a year or so till we buy one. My Wife and I are 100% Ford customers. She even works at a Ford Dealership, so we get first class treatment with warranty issue's.

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Wow, I would never have thought a V6 would be rated at more than 10K lbs. That's impressive.........

11. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I test drove one and it was wickedly fast. Tons of power. my current truck is 6.4l twin turbo diesel. The deal breaker was a 20k trade in value for a truck I paid 60k
    for 4 years ago!

12. MickiRig1

You trade it in and they would get much more out of it. I would love to find that truck for 20k. My F-250 was cherry when my Wife got hired at the Dealership.The salesmen would see it, Oh we would gladly take that in on trade. I bet you would, 10 years old with 64K on it.

13. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I drove a pre-production truck with that motor through a program where Ford offered to bring one right to your house last winter. The fully loaded King Ranch 4x4 Supercrew they showed up with was no light weight truck. They let me beat the hell out of it for 30 minutes and I walked away totally impressed. In short, it's a very impressive motor.

Oh BTW, you'll never plow with it because they'll void your warranty.

14. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm not even considering buying one. I was just curious to see if anybody had been behind the wheel of one and if it was everything it was claimed to be. I cant believe they put it in a King Ranch supercrew!

15. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

The mileage isn't great, and the extra cost to run premium fuel (Ford recommended) and synthetic oil would not make me run out to get one. And you can not plow with any 2011 F150 due to the electric power steering on them.

16. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Not only did they, but it went like stink. I was utterly blown away. It's a very surprising motor.

17. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

My buddy just got one, a fully loaded S/C FX4. Says it gets awesome fuel mileage and has a ton of power. I thought about buying one myself, waiting to hear more reviews before I do.

18. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

My God, did anyone watch IRT and see the beating they put on it more or less jerking the dead tractor out of the parking spot. Poor half ton.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

It will absolutely kill the 5.3 in every aspect. No offense, but the 5.3 isn't the best V8 for towing out there but regardless its a potent motor.

I personally love the new 5.0. I've now taken home 3 of them for the weekend and consistantly am getting 19-20mpg hand calculated out of them - crew cab short bed 4x4's. Its probably going to be the next truck I purchase to use as a camper/family hauler and keep my 2500 for plowing.

As for the 6.0 debacle, that was a Navistar motor not a Ford motor. Look back in Ford's history of Forced Induction Motors and you'll realize they know how to boost motors - SVO 4cyl Mustang, Thunderbird SC, 03/04 Cobra, 05-12 Shelby, Ford GT, etc. Plus Ford usually overbuilds their boosted motors, so I'm thinking once the aftermarket catches up with the tuning of this motor, you'll easily see another 100HP from a tuner like the Diesels do.

Picture 124.jpg

20. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I test drove two F150's today, a White Limited ( very sweet looking by the way ) with the new 6.2L, it was a rocket...flat out. However the sticker gas mileage wasen't that great, said 12/16.

Then I drove the Eco-Boost, sticker mileage was 16/22, much different power, from a start very peppy, but still didn't feel as powerful as the 6.2 but I was most intregred by the sticker mileage. Also, the steering was un-believeable and I now realize why, electronic steering. However as mentioned above this will VOID the warranty if a plow is added ??

My question is this, the 2011 F150 that I really liked had a 7300 GVWR, is this enough to support a 8'2 V-Plow ? The mileage on my 250 6.8 is absolutely killing me and I fear I might have to make a change very soon.

Appreciate your input.....Thumbs Up

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011