1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F150-1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Jan 31, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

I am planing on getting a truck in the near future. I am thinking a F150 or a Chevy 1500. Does anybody have one and plow with it? Is it a good plow truck? I am gonna start looking in about 2 weeks so all the information i can get will help.
    Thanks
    -ryan

2. snowpushn420

snowpushn420 Junior Member

truck

Depends on what year of truck you're talking. '88 and up GM's will have IFS which does'nt hold up the best to x-tra weight. I can't say alot for 80-96 Fords either as they have the Twin I beam front which is'nt the best but It is easy to compensate for the plow with air bags in the coils. In the late eighties and the early ninties dual shocks were an option which would be good for a plow. In either case there's a good chance that there will be no trans. cooler I would reccomend adding one. The auto's in half tons sometimes work harder than 3/4's due to higher gearing I know a popular gear for the ford was 3.55-1 While a better gear for plowing is 4.10-1. Bottom line get the 350 or 351 and make sure to keep an eye on the front end and the trans.

3. 10 gauge

10 gauge Junior Member

i dont plow but am giving it some thought and i too have thought of getting a 1500 for a plow truck. i think it really depends on what size properties youll be servicing like if your doing like large wal mart lots and such then i wouldnt get a 1/2 ton but if your gonna stick with small lots and maybe some driveways then you should be fine with some timbrens on front and probably back too if your gonna be using a tailgate spreader. i would probably get a 3/4 ton for plowing but with all the starting and stopping i do in a day the gas mileage would literally kill me so i thought a 1/2 tonner would probably be a little more manegeable. but what ever you do at least put timbrens on the front because front ends look silly sitting on the ground because of plow weight. hope this helps :D

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 2000 F-150 (see my signature) I love my curtis plow and it plows through anything. Ihave gone through over 2 feet of wet snow with no problem. I have timbrens in the front and run 500 LBS in the back more at times with bags of rock salt coming and going as i use it. I don't have a spreader. I would recommend a 1/2 ton for residentials as they are much more manuverable than 3/4 or 1 tons. The two trucks will hold up fine contarary to what some on this site or elsewhere may tell you. I plow 37 residentials with mine and usually get about ten more flag downs during the big storms, i have also plowed some small lots with mine and sometimes my father has me plow vacant houses that he has (hes a real estate broker). bottem line iam usually very busy during snowstorms and i have plowed ALOT with my truck without too many problems.I try to be easy on the truck but if iam in a rush i tend to do things like shift from D to R while iam still moving. Also try to get the plow prep package if you can't find one with the package no big deal just add a trans cooler and some timbrens and you'll be fine. good luck finding a truck.

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You are being given some good advice. The one thing which is most important is not your vehicle size 1/2 0r 3/4 ton but your selection of plow size. A late model 1/2 ton cannot handle any plow larger than 7'6" wide and/or weighing more than 550 lbs. I know a lot of people swear by timbrens but I think it is because they want to run a bigger heavier plow than what is best suited for the truck. When the plow is matched to the truck all that is necessary will be to crank up the torsion bars a bit. If the truck with plow needs more suspension support then the plow is to big and too heavy. Those over sized, over weight plows will just allow you to bite off more than your truck can chew. ( except transmissions ) With a 1/2 ton automatic always plow in 4WD low range. Yes I know the readers can't wait to reply to this one.
    OK let her rip.

6. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I currently own a 02 150 ext cab and I have a rd 7'6" Fisher mm on it and it plows great, my previous truck was a 98 gmc 1500 ext cab and I also had a 7'6" fisher mm on that and I have never had any problems with either truck! Both preform(ed) excellent good luck on you selection

Rich

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SNOWLY............Any new 1/2 ton truck has its pros and cons.

GM is the ONLY mfr. that offers a factory snow plow prep pkg.
    and a full factory warranty for plow related breakage in a 1/2 ton reg. cab pickup.

Some others say different....Just go to the truck mfrs. "build your
    own" section on their 1/2 tons...See who offers it.

BUT some dealers sell their brand with a plow and will "bend"
    the rules as far as warranty issues.............

This is a major concern if your buying a NEWER truck with warranty.
    NOTE: MOST aftermarket warranties will not cover plow related
    breakage either.

Use caution and get it in writing !!!! Good Luck!...........geo

8. snowmore

snowmore Junior Member
    from Indiana

Everyone tells me that a 1/2's front suspension is not strong enough. What could i do to beef mine up for plowing?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

There is really no way to beef up a front suspension. Bearings, rotor size, and calipers cannot be changed. Adding springs or timbrens are not beefing up, just transferring roughness to other components instead of absorbing them...Chuck

10. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I plow with an 86 F-150. I added heavy duty front coils and am considering Timbrens for next year. The plow is an older Fisher 7.6 permanent mount plow. The truck is equipped with a heavy duty 4 speed ( unsynchronized "granny" 1st gear). In heavy accumulations of snow I plow in 4 Low. Sofar the truck has worked well. I only do residential drives and some are tight. My truck is a SWB. Unfortunately all the 3/4 ton trucks are long wheelbase. A 1/2 ton will work well as long as you don't abuse it.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If your starting out looking for a truck that you PLAN to install a plow on, why even LOOK at a 1/2 ton? :confused:

3/4 Tons aren't much more money (sometimes the same) and have all the stuff you'll need to carry/handle a snowplow.

Why wouldn't you look at 250/350's and 2500/3500's :confused:

12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SNOWLY.......... BTW: I had 4 1/2 ton GMs that i plowed with
    from 90 to 01. All but 1 had plow prep. Yea..I broke some
    parts along the way too........Warranty covered them.

My 01 is a 3/4 ton ex-cab...I would of went with a 1/2 but
    several dealers told me straight up "NO plow prep...NO warranty
    for plow related breakage ! I bought 3 trucks from the same
    dealer and a few cars too !

Sure, Some of the guys here say buy a 3/4 ton...they only cost
    a "little" more. Maybe used but not new............
    Syr NY paper........ 04 Chev.1/2 x-cab, LS, 4.8, auto, 4x4
    $22,012.........04 Chev. 3/4 hd x-cab. , 6.0, auto, 4x4 $28,466
    ( I suspect the 3/4 may be a near stripper with bare options,
    add does not say WT, LS, LT.....I know MSRP on a LS is around
    $36k....I have been shopping!)

All prices plus tax and tag, rebates applied etc.........

13. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

sonjaab,
    I have to differ with ya here buddy. Ford makes a 1/2 ton truck that is made for a snow plow. Until last year it was called the #7700 payload package. Last year and still today it has been beefed to #8200. It is the same as the F250s before they went to the sd's. It comes with heavier frame, springs, axels, tires tranny, etc. An actual snow plow prep package is an option to add to it. I have a 2000 F150 #7700. that O ordered new and double checked with the dealer, the day I ordered it. Its made to plow with.
    Ray

14. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

I priced out a new #8200 F150 on Ford's build it page last week. They now come standard with 4.10 gearing. I added L/S rear, snow plow package, tow package, and a few goodies. You cant add much because that model already comes with most everything already on it. The MSRP was around 32K. If you stripped it down a little I guess it might be closer to to 30K. Its a great plow truck for a 1/2 ton. Mine has the 3.73 gearing and thats why Ill stick with my 2000. The 2004 wont get as good mileage but should push a LOT of snow and pull a trailer really nice.
    Ray

15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I think if you check the # 7700 or #8200 PAYLOAD package, it is just that, payload. It is a beefed up back end, not front end. When you add a stronger frame, axles,bearings etc. then they call it a 3/4 ton. There is nothing wrong with a 1/2 ton for plowing if you put the RIGHT PLOW ON IT. 7'6" blade LT. series not RD. or SD.etc.

16. snowmore

snowmore Junior Member
    from Indiana

Does the off-road package offer any plowing benifits for either ford or chevy?

17. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

Bolts
    Its a whole different truck, not just a payload package. Different axles, brakes, frame, suspension. Its a light duty 3/4 ton truck. The front axle is rated at 4150#. Check out the Ford web site and you can see the specs. You dont see many of these around and most people that see them dont know what they are. When you see one on the road, there is a little emblem that says "7700" on the tailgate. You can also tell because its the only time you see a 150 with 7 lugs on the wheels.
    Ray

18. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I've been plowing with F150s for many years now. Contrary to what people beleive the Dual shock front suspension IS NOT good to put a plow on! The front shock gets in the way of the plow push plates on the Fisher setup. I had one truck like that and the only way to mount the pushplates were to leave off the front (front) shocks and stabilizer bar. I was never happy with that idea and quickly sold it and bought a 93 F150 equipped with the plow package. I put HD front springs (TRW CC844S) and the truck handles the 7&1/2 foot Fisher well. As for newer F150s I know the 2004 is availiable with the plow package. Good luck with your choice. If you are looking for new I would go for a 3/4 ton F250. The price range is 22,000 for an XL to 29,000 for an XLT. I know because I am considering one and have been shopping.

f150 plow down front.jpg

19. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Another picture, only goes down 3/4" with plow raised.

f150 plow up front.jpg

20. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

and another picture

f150 plow up front.jpg