1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F Superduty Battery Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sticks, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

So I picked up this F Superduty cheap....

I tried to start it and the battery was weak, i popped the hood and hooked up the charger. I noticed that the one battery is not hooked up to the other battery.

The battery on the drivers side is not hooked up to the passenger side battery.

I used my tester and the driver side battery is dead.

Should i charge it up and hook it up?

I put the charger on it, and it gave me some dash lights , my brake controller....

Does anyone know what the battery is responsible for? :confused:

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

THe two batteries work together to complete the system. Both batteries are used to start the engine, however, some functions of the truck are wired off of each battery.

Replace BOTH batteries at the same time. Avoid doing one at a time.

3. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

They are both brand new..... One just isnt hooked up.

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

if the drivers side was dead its not brand new..get a load test done on it when its fully charged..its possible the charging system is hooked to the one that isnt connected..any id say if it wasnt hooked up, then the previous owner obviously had it unhooked for a reason. let us know what u find

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

On those trucks in stock form the driver's battery should have nothing hooked to it, except for the main cables. The negative should go right to a chassis ground and the positive will go over the radiator and connect to the passenger side battery were all positive connections go to the truck. Sometimes you will see a winch, plow, lights etc tapped into the driver's side by owner or aftermarket installs.

It could be that the driver's side was unhooked to facilitate radiator removal for front engine work or somthing similiar. Before you go changing batteries etc., leave the driver's side unhooked and try to charge it. Then do the same for the passenger side. If they take a charge and you can load test them I like to do so when they are charged and seperated. Dealers will load test both batteries at once. You may find the batteries are fine just needed a charge. Even in ideal conditions one battery will have trouble starting an old 7.3 Add in glow plugs working, cold temps, and an old starter and you are pushing it.

Finally if you do get a good charge on them and they load test ok, check the starter. As the startes age they draw more amps and don't spin as fast. An auto parts store can test a starter for you and they actually aren't expensive or hard to change.