1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F/S 6' SS Downeaster dump insert w/spreader

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by hlntoiz, Nov 26, 2009.

1. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

For Sale is my 6' Stainless Steel Downeaster dump insert that is in my Dodge. The reason I have a 6' and not an 8' is so I can also have my tool box in the bed also.

When you load a 6' unit with stone or topsoil that is the max load (GVWR) for a 1 ton truck. I could get 2 yds of product in it. So it works out great. I also had a custom made waterproof cover for it so your salt doesn't get wet. see pic

I also have the tailgate spreader. Unit works fine no issues I have made many minor improvements to the design to be more user friendly. I also have the speed control for the spinner for much better control of your spread. see pic

The bed is in almost perfect minor dings and scratches. The spreader works just fine. only used for one season.

Here are the specs from Downeaster

This total set up cost me almost $8k

Total package $6800.00

mms_picture.jpg

1126091214a.jpg

1126091216.jpg

mms_picture.jpg

1126091214a.jpg

1126091216.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just had a guy looking for a used 6ft ss dump bed. He ended up buying something else and a tailgate spreader so he's out of money. My next bed is definitely going to be SS Good luck

3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

The 6' works out great because you can always have your tool box on the truck. Stainless is always the best way to go. Very strong.

Forgot to mention the reason I am selling the unit is I am getting a new truck and will be putting a large Vbox on it.

I will also consider a trade for a SS Vbox

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

whats the improvements?

5. mwmdesigns

mwmdesigns Junior Member
    from Pa

Hey I think I recognize your truck! Did you take the icpi course in York Pa this spring? How did your season go?...good luck this winter

6. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Ya that is me. That class was worth it just for the knowledge about the soil stabilization. Season was OK. Yours? Hoping the snow starts flying soon.

I will take some pics then explain them.

7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Forgot to include my #

860-463-2279

Or just PM me!

8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

can you post pictures of your backrack??

9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Custom made so everthing will fit. That will be forsale also.

1128091237.jpg

1128091237.jpg

10. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

OK Where to start

First Pic Added spring pins for ease of releasing tailgate and spreader. It came with bottom ones but not top ones. Custom Waterproof tarp was made to cover the salt and locks tightly in place. No bungies on the side are needed. A rubber flap was added on top of the spreader to stop water and melting snow from getting to the salt and then freezing up.
    improvements.jpg

Tightly installed tarping system. Fits nice and snug and does not limit your view out your back window
    1128091239.jpg

SS panel was made to help prevent the salt from getting under the insert in the bed of the truck
    Panel.jpg

A curved peice of SS was added to the shoot area to change the flow of the salt. Buy doing this it changes where the salt falls on the spinner and provides a much better spread of product.
    Flap.jpg

I should have been an engineer for Downeaster! hahaahaha

improvements.jpg

1128091239.jpg

Panel.jpg

Flap.jpg

11. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Bump it up!!!!!!

12. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Bumping it up. Want to sell as a package!

$6,400.00

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Matt, I know you want to seel as a package, but I could use the spreader. Let me know if you have someone only interested in the body.

14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

My issue is I will have to purchase a new spreader and don't have the extra money to front out right now. Unless it starts snowing once a week. If I don't sell it as a combo and the season is over I am sure we can make a deal.

15. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

I have a new style fisher procaster, stainless version. Are you interested in possibly trading? All the maintenance has been done in the past 2-3 years, new chain, tune-up, gearbox, rear chute, spinner, clutch. It comes with in cab controls, and starts on first crank every time. It is supplied with a 8hp tecumseh engine, which gives out plenty of power! If you are interested pm me and we can try and work something out, keep things local!

16. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Does it have a quick detach shoot? That is a key feature.

17. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

No it does not, i don't believe it is that hard to take off. I'm pretty sure that their are four bolts and then the sinner comes off with ease. I'll look more into it when i get to the truck later today. But it definitely is not like the ice-o-way spreaders.

18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Downeaster and Snow dogg make quick detach shoots. Bull a cupple pins and they are off. That is a must have option IMO!

Thanks for Inquiring though.

19. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

FYI, I have got a bunch of requests to seperate the spreader from the insert. At this time I can't seperate the spreader from the insert for $$ reasons. If I still have it in the total set up in the spring I will seperate the spreader from the insert.

Thanks again for looking!

20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Still available! Make me a reasonable offer. If you are in close enough to me I will deliver to your shop.