1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-750 Electric Tailgate Salter?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by burkeenv, Dec 16, 2010.

1. burkeenv

burkeenv Junior Member

I have a 2000 F-750 and 2002 F-650. I was wondering if the electric under the tailgate salters would work for either of these trucks. Neither of them have central hydraulics. I was looking into the Swenson SEL model.

2. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

I know Snow-Ex makes a tailgate model for those trucks. Both a replacement tailgate or under tailgate. I have heard good things on the electric. Some of the Municipalities are running them here.

3. zman9119

zman9119 Member

We just put a SaltDogg (Buyers) electric unit on one of our 2007 F-750s. Works great. Guys seem to like it a lot better than the TruckCrap ones we have on all our other trucks.

4. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Get the Swenson ! I just had one installed on my 450. My dealer which is a large truck body shop told me everyone is putting them on tandem dumps to salt the highways because of simplicity of no hydraulics... I did a test run and the sucker really throws the salt !!

just noticed your from NJ.. Call Bristol& Donald in Newark, NJ they are a stocking dealer and did mine..

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. burkeenv

burkeenv Junior Member

Great thanks

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Get the Swenson ! I just had one installed on my 450. My dealer which is a large truck body shop told me everyone is putting them on tandem dumps to salt the highways because of simplicity of no hydraulics... I did a test run and the sucker really throws the salt !!

just noticed your from NJ.. Call Bristol& Donald in Newark, NJ they are a stocking dealer and did mine..[/QUOTE]

Picked one up from them also, 4650.00$ I installed it myself on my inter 4700.
    A nice feature is that it is the same as hydraulic unit( proven design) with the exception of the electric motors,not some cheap lookalike.If you do buy from them be aware that they don't accept credit cards. I also upgraded my 100 amp alternator to 160 amp - 225.00$. They also mentioned that if you don't have power down on your body it may get stuck up when close to empty. I'm still waiting to try mine out.

7. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

My buddy who we sub out to salt when we are behind has a electric Truck Craft/ "Crap" (as mentioned above) replacembnt tailgate salt spreader

And he cant let ANY salt freeze by the auger otherwise it wont move the next morning.....
    When this happens he has to shovel all the salt back.....
    clear the auger....
    etc.
    Which is a pain i hear with a hydro unit you dont have this problem....

He has this type of spreader:
    De-icer
    [​IMG]

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Is the Meyer electric the same as the Swenson?

Also does that Swenson have an auto reverse or jack hammer mode for the auger.

Nice feature about the Swenson, if you were un happy, you could buy the hydro motors and change it out which woukd be cheaper than a whole new unit

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Thats another advantage of the Swenson undertailgate , you can open the back of the unit
    and clear the auger.Also you can still use dump with the sander on.
    Just lay down the tailgate.

10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Yea, Open 2 latches and the bottom drops out on the Swenson to clear out any jams or for just cleaning in general.

11. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

is the 750 a cdl truck? cause if not its under 26 gs and i guarentee the truck weighs atleast 6 tons which mean you can haul 7 tons legally?
    just wondering cause we are trying to upgrfade to a 750 from a 550 but i can hual 5 tons with a 550 and save 20 grand on the truck for just 2 ton less

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

SWEnson Electric Wicked reccomended is the same unit we run on a F650, excellenty unit. Once you get the hang of the controller it works nicely. Though I will say opening the bottom to clean out isn't quite as simple as 2 latches. Still not a big deal, but not a 2 min fix either.

13. burkeenv

burkeenv Junior Member

My 750 is a CDL truck its reg. at 35,000 lbs. My 650 is non CDL at 26,000 lbs.

14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

wow 35 k thats a lot if weight do u plow with that monster

15. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

On mine.. Disconnecting the safety plug and opening the 2 latches allows the bottom to drop open far enough to get your hands or a shovel in to clear anything out. I think for it to fully swing open...the spinner needs to get removed which can be tough trying to re-install it with just one pair of hands...

16. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting the swenson for our F-750 also...Let me know how you like it....just weary about electric...