1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMB74, Jan 23, 2003.

1. JMB74

JMB74 Junior Member

I am in the process of buying another F-650 from a local dealership and was just wondering if i could put a 10' Henderson snow plow on it. The plow weighs 1,750 lbs and is 42 inches tall. The engine is a 210 cat with an allison auto. Also if have central hydralics to run some of my salt spreaders but this will be my first time running a plow off of them and i was just wondering what would be the difference from running it off electrics and running it off the hydralics. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't know how heavy the specs are for your truck,but you should be OK.Check with your installer to be sure.

I know some guys are gonna disagree here,but I prefer the plow driven off the central hydraulics.Way faster,way more reliable,and way more power.You also don't have to worry about the charging system,batteries,another hydraulic system,and all the wiring either.If you don't want the bulky levers,you can get a valve body that is electricly actuated,but powered by the central hydraulics.Then you can use whatever setup you want to control it (mini joystick,switches,etc).Biggest drawback is cost,and the possibilty of the coils failing,valves sticking,or electrical problems.

Theft is also another thing,as with an electric plow,most power units are plow or plow frame mounted,and easily stolen.

If you do decide to run everything off the central hydraulics,make sure you get a big enough pump.Better to have too much than not enough.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How heavy is the Henderson? You shouldn't have a problem, but you might wnat to check the axle rating. We have a 10' Monroe that weighs about 1500# on our F800 (which is now the 650) and have been running it for 5 years now. When I specced it out I remember making sure we had the heaviest axle we could get, I think 9000# but I'm not positive about that.

We run ours off central hydraulics, a clutch pump, and love it. As wyldman suggested, we have electric valves for our plow and dump box and a manual sander valve. This valve controls the spinner and augers on the under the tailgate spreader individually. There is also a diverter valve so we can adjust the flow to the electric or manual valves.
  4. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I have an 03' F-650 with a 10' Western mounted on it. I'm not sure of the actual weight of the plow and harness but I do know that it does have some good weight to it. It is a traditional, cable/joystick operated rig that I transferred from one of my old F-700's. The truck handles it great. No problems. She works beautiful through the snow also. Jake.
  5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

A few words,

2 Stage PUMP, off the crankshaft.

6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

u should be okay with that plow.we hada f800 with a flink plow on it 1540 LBS.my friend has a 650 with the western which i think that plow is 1335 LBS