1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-650 for plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Would a F-650 make a good plow truck. I am entertaining a bid thats coming up in a couple seasons (I know its a ways out yet) that requires a 5ton truck and found a couple F650's that are in great shape and was wondering if they would make goo trucks or not.
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have several fords,350s up to 800s, a few older ones that still run everyday.
  3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I'd mount a 5 yard salter on a F-650. In small areas a truck that size can be tedious & oversized. Unless ur going to use it for landscape season, why not get a compact loader/pusher combo instead?
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We would be plowing roads
  5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i plowed a very large parking lot with one about 14 years ago. it had central hydos i would put 5-7 ton of salt in it and it would go anywere. also had a 10 foot flink on the front end. we only used it for 3 places but they were all big and open lots were i could just go in circles.
  6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Couple of townships around here fun 650's and 750's with front plows and some with side plows. seem to be holding up for municipal plowing so I would think they would work just as fine for you. On the plus side you can often buy an F-650 with a plow and less miles than you can buy an F-550 with no plow for so more money stays in your pocket.
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I use a GMC 6500 with a 10' plow. Real similar truck. It plow's like a dream. Got to use them in wide open lots but they dont stop!!!!
  8. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I run a F-550 it has a 7.3 and is a dog. In the 650,I would get the Cat if still available. Auto trans might take more torque to run then the standard. I have the standard,last truck blew a few transmissions. If the truck has a plow and sander,you know it's going to be heavy. I work for a municipal highway dept. plowking
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

To each his own, but I like the f650, not a speed demon by any means. What kind of prices are you finding? I'm leaving for Florida in two weeks to pick up a f650 dump for $8900, has cummings, 50,000 miles, dump. Lots of cheap trucks down there and in Texas.

Sound like you need a chip or programmer
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

we use a f750 10' muni blade (fisher) and a 4 yard Smith SS salter, works great.
  11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

i run abunch of them awsome trucks i have one 650 powerstroke and new 750 cat both with a meyers and the rest are 650s with cat automatics one has a 10' western and the rest have 10' boss v plows on them . I have them set up with central hydros and under tailgate spreaders . one is a chipper truck with a v plow we put a couple pallets of calcium in the back, shovels and snowblowers . kepts everything nice and dry.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010