1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-600 Batteries and Charging ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sharpshooter77, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hey guys i got a 1988 F-600 dump truck with the 370 gasser engine and I have finished install of my plow and plow pump. I have one problem. My charging system can't keep up with the plow pump. the plow pump is and old style 12 volt monarch with the push and pull nobs. My alternator is charging but it can't keep up with the use of the plow. I wanted to know how I should go about setting up a dual battery setup. I have talked with a few people and the are talking about using a Battery Isolator. Also I am taking the alternator to have it rebuilt to put out more amps. What do you guys think?

shane

2. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I have heard that rebuilding is what ya wanna do put a bigger one on. I would try dual batteries with updated cables. Never go wrong with more grounds.

3. I went with a bigger battery & high output alternator. I did change the battery area bigger for a bigger battery. So far it working. from 2000 to now went thur 2 batteries every 4 year replacing them. Before winter in fall once leaves start to fall. Some bigger CCA batteries now come in smaller size.