1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Apr 6, 2003.

1. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

This is slightly off topic but it does involve snow :rolleyes: I looked at a 2002 F-550 today and I'm curious to know what people think its worth.

Here's the stats 2002 F-550XL, 4x4, auto, AC, 141" wheelbase, 9' Fisher MM2, and a custom flat bed with gooseneck fitting and pintle with a receiver. It was purchased in November along with the plow. Soon after the owner broke his leg (he still has the cast on) and he claims that the truck has only plowed 4 drives plus his and has only 3300 miles on the odometer. He is selling all his equipment due to his self employment insurance not covering all this expense.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/68807938/68808102etMKgZ

Last edited: Apr 6, 2003
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Whats it have for a motor? With out knowing 30- 35K diesel would be closer to the 35K.

Geoff

3. JD PLOWER

Sorry Geoff I just realized I didn't include the motor 7.3 Diesel. :eek:

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would make a guess at $35-38K.It looks like a base truck the bed even thought it may be custome to him still does not dump one draw back from my stand point its almost 2+ years old the mm2 is that the the bigger one or is it the regular that fits all trucks?JD how i would figure it is take15% off the sticker price if you can get what he paid then take another 3K off for depritiation.You know how much the plow is and the flat bed must be about $800-1000.maybe.Looks like a nice truck.Will you be outfitting it with a dump body?

5. JD PLOWER

Cat its the standard duty 9' Fisher. Actually the truck is only 5 months old. The bed is built heavy duty, maybe overbuilt?

6. GeoffD

If it was me, I would try to not count the body in the price after looking over the picture. That standard duty fisher isn't worth a thing on the truck, it won't take the abuse the truck would give it.

If you can buy it for 33 snag it, take the plow off and sell it. You will need something tougher over the long term. I would also consider removing the body, and installing a regular dump body.

Maybe if you can snag it for 33, and get 2K for the plow. I would think about a possible central hydro system for the truck.

Geoff

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD you can't go by that it's only 5 months old in reality it's almost 1 1/2 to 2 years old the plow is only $3600 + new.Will you be using it just to tow? I think that Geoff is right closer to $35 maybe less. And i agree with taking that body off and putting a nice 9' on there maybe an airflow proclass or a donovan goodwin body.A central hydro system would be nice like Geoff said

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

As I'm reading this I'm also entering the cost of my 550 in the computer for taxes. My chassis was $34,640, 7.3 XLT. I've got the 6 speed, the auto adds about $1200 list price to the sticker. My XLT package added about $2200, so you can take it from there.

9. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

go to NADA and look under New England district, then price each option. It iwll tell you at least what the local banks will give for it.

10. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Put a bid/offer in for 30K and see what his bottom price for the truck is, then work up from that point...:waving:

11. GeoffD

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well working from Pelicans numbers i come up with a price of $31K i was figuring a bit high.That truck that JD has is a base xl diesel 4x4, the only extras are the plow and the bed the plow is around $3600 the bed could not be more than $800 plus what pelican said so i got around $41K you minus 15% off that plus $1500 a year for depreciation and it comes in around $31K.

13. JD PLOWER

Some points that might help.
    1. He says the dealer charged him 4400 for the plow, installed. The dealer he purchased this truck from is not one of the more ethical dealers around these parts but they move allot of product so they don't budge on these prices.

2. I'm looking at 2002's to avoid the newer diesel engine (for at least the first year of production.) So they are in limited supply on dealership lots making buying new VERY UNLIKELY.

3. He showed me the paper work on the purchase and he paid $38K for the cab and chassis plus the $4400 for the plow. Then he made the flatbed.

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD I would still stay with a price of $31K unless you really want this truck and he is firm on a higher price.

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Its a decent looking truck I guess, but that flatbed with the wood sides looks very out of place on that truck. Try to make sure there isnt more to the story for the reason he is selling it, being that its so new and has so little mileage. What does he plan on buying next? I would hammer him with questions before Id go hand out $31k. Just my thoughts. Good luck, let us know what you end up doing. Mike :)

16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

He paid way too much for the chassis, that's his problem, not yours, plus it sounds like he paid too much for the plow.

Would you be willing to travel for a new '02?

17. JD PLOWER

Mike I actually believe him about why he's selling. He's selling EVERYTHING! He offered the 20 ton Goose neck to me even though I told him I bought a trailer 5 minutes earlier. I'm not tied to this guy in anyway but my biggest concern isn't his price, its his price coupled with a bed that really only meets his needs. In other words, if I could get it for a decent price I wouldn't mind pulling this bed for another one.

As far as travel goes I wouldn't mind traveling for the right vehicle. I would want to arrange most of the details before I went anywhere though.

My biggest concerns are that it be as close to new as possible, have the 7.3 and be no longer than the 141" wheelbase.

The plow is not the Municipal type but is the HD model. I am planning on a V-plow or a blizzard for a truck this size so I might be selling the plow on any truck I buy.

What is an average price for a 9' HD MM2 ?

Thanks for the response :waving: .

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

19. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

If you go to a Ford dealer have them do a computer search for the truck you want.

I live in the Kansas City area, my local dealer did not have the truck I wanted, I told them the have to haves and with in 2 minutes 2 were found out of 900 dealers that were searched.

My truck was purchased 2/14/03 it is an 2000 F-350 7.3 PSD.

Good Luck in your search.

new truck side 2.jpg

20. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Most dealer will even deliver the truck right to your house, They have guy who are called "runner" who will drive the truck to you and take a train back to the dealership. I would only trust a new truck with a great price deal for this... Usually for out of state dealership