1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stripe This, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

Anyone have experience plowing w/ a F-550 dump truck? Originally, it was planned to be used as our plow truck for the commercial lots we have. For the most part, it doesn't have to be too nimble...the lots are large and we would have a 9' blade on it. I'm just getting worried that it'll be a big PITA to clear the lots. It also could be just an overraction.

The other idea was getting another pick-up and splitting the commercial and residential route. Less travel, more efficient, and a handy foreman truck during the regular landscape season. Any input would be helpful.

2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Are you kidding!? I would love to have a 550 for plowing commercials.Especially with a 9' blade. a real time saver. I have been looking at the dodge 3500 and ford 550 with blizzard power blade.nice truck you should be happy, especially in open areas

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

One of the trucks we run is an 01- 550. It goes fairly well, you'll probably want to change the tires as the stock tires are horrible in the snow. I have done a couple of driveways with it, but like you said, it's not nimble. A pickup would be much better for driveways. With enough ballast and in 4WD the 550 can push pretty well.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

try going wider than 9' IMO

Not a dump but a 550 4x4 with a 10' boss v and it does pretty well, its just a real PITA to stick it down a drive or something small but it does well in larger stuff.

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I would suggest plowing with that unit. If, it were me, I would be installing a BLIZZARD 8611 Power Plow. You definately can move alot of snow with that plow, and still carry it down the road at 8' 6" retracted, plow with it in the 11' 3" straight mode for clearing those big lots. Also, you can still use it on smaller drives.

Thanks.

:)

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

550 should do fine with the right setup.Check here.

7. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

Thanks

Thanks for the input. How much is that Blizzard plow in the pics? The only plows we see here in NJ are Meyer, Western, and Fisher. A 9' Fisher here would run me $3700 or so...I can get the dealer price because I bought the 550 there. Anyway, if you could...let me know the price on that Blizzard, looks like it'll do tons of work.

8. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know current pricing but I would guess 5500-5700 installed. Not cheap but if you have the work for it then it will pay for itself fairly quickly. I would go with the Municipal series Fisher if you decided to go that route.

9. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

I just got a quote for $5400 (pre season price) for the 8611. Thanks for all your help. Gonna call one other dealer to keep him honest.

10. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

The f-550 is nice. Though turning radius is loosy. I hear the o5 will have better turning radius. Like others said change tires if it doesnt have traction tires.