1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-550 weight??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Team_Yamaha, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I am looking at maybe getting rid of my F-350 and getting a F-550 instead. The truck that I am looking at getting is a used (bank repo) 03 F-550 SC 4X4, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd, with 8.5" aluminum flat bed with full tool boxes both above and below the bed, and only 6,000 miles. The reason that I am looking at getting a "new" truck is I want to put a plow on it. I was thinking about putting one on my F-350 but since the truck weighs about 13,000 lbs with a fully loaded sander, then the plow will put me up to about 14,000-14,500 lbs. So I figure that this 550 would be the perfect set-up for what I am looking to do.

I am just wondering if anyone would have an idea of what a set-up like this 550 would weigh in at?? Thanks guys!!

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I would say before loading the sander it probably weighs in at 9,000 to 11,000 depending on the exact weight of everything. This will leave you plenty of room for a full load in the v-box.

Geoff

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I had my 02 weighed and it came in at just under 9200 pounds. This is a regular cab 9' steel body automatic with ac. Hope this helps a little.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If there's no hoist for the flatbed, you'll weigh in at less than JD's number.

JD, your number discourages me, seems I paid a big penalty for the stainless body and built in sander. My 550 tares at 11,500!:realmad:

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Diesel or Gas? It will make a difference. I would assume diesel. Pelican don't forget all the hydro equipment and the large hoist you have. All that probably counteracts the lighter body.

6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Thanks for the replies!! I also have a couple more questions for all of you... What would be the biggest plow that I could run on this truck, I would like to go 10' or a little bigger? What would a truck like this cost?? (I forgot to say that the truck is an XLT and the tool boxes are all Weather Gaurd) The truck is on sealed bids, so what do you guys think?? I was thinking on putting a bid in of $30,000. A truck like this isn't in real big demand around here, so I don't think that many people will be bidding, but who knows...

Again, thanks for the replies

7. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

As far as the biggest plow, then I think you have to go with Blizzard 8611. Eleven feet is is about as wide as you should go :nod: . 30k sounds about right but don't be surprised if someone else gets the snow fever and wants it a little more.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got a 9' on mine and it's not wide enough, I trail through the windrow even when making straight passes. The 8611 is your best bet if you're looking for production.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd say an 8611 as well,or a 10 ft straight blade.