1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-550 w/ V10

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by silvetouch, Dec 20, 2010.

1. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I was considering buying a F-550 4x2 with low miles with plow and salter. its either a '02 or '03.

I wanted to know if anyone has anything like this currently or if anyone has any opinions on this truck.

My 1st concern is the 4x2 -- I'm sure it would be fine with some weight in the back though.

My 2nd concern is the V10 motor. I'm sure i won't have any issues with power. but i'm not soo sure on the gas mileage.

thanks in advance for everyone's input.
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Well, on the 4x2 you will be fine. I run a 03 f350 with a saltdogg sp2000 on it, and i never put it in 4x4. I know that most of Brickmans trucks are 4x2's as well and have the big salters on them so you will be fine. As far as gas milage goes I am not sure. I guess just always have that pig filled up and dont use it as your daily driver. Id imagine your in the range of 7-10mpg with like a 25-35 gal tank so even on the low side thats 275 miles per fill up.
  3. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

I have a 2wd 550 with a v-10 and i love the truck, it plows great with little to no weight in it, as for the mileage who cares its a work truck but if you must know its between 6-10 mpg.
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have 3 f450's all 2wd, fully loaded they each carry 5 ton of salt, and they all have wideouts and push just fine
  5. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I can't comment on the 550 series, although with some ballast your 2wd truck should be just fine.

I have plowed in a F350 V10 and the power was great, burned about a half a tank through out the night so I would say around 10 mpg. I currently use a F350 V10 (different than the plow truck) to tow a goose neck and two skids and the MPG is considerably lower, 4-6 mpg, tops. Like others said, I'm not going great distances and it's a work truck that we got a great price on. Although the office gives me the stink eye when I turn in $500+ worth of fuel receipts for the two skids and truck on a 2 night event!
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

The f550 is a great truck, I've plowed in them with 9.5 V's, and with a 810 blizzard. As far as motors I have only plowed with diesels. I did however rent a v10 f550 once when our truck was involved in an accident. From what I can remember the gas mileage was horrific, to the tune we were filling up every other day. This was during landscape season though, and not plowing.
  7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

we have one as a squad for our FD, no plow. the thing is a dog, underpowered and horrible mileage. the display on the dash says we average 4.9 mpg
  8. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

what tires do you run on your 550s? And how much weight? Our 550 is worthless for plowing. Tire choice and weight being the problem. We dont need the truck to plow so I have not tried to put anytime into it to make it a decent plow set up.
  9. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

My 550 is a reg cab with a 11' steel dump body, I only put about 2500 lbs in it and it plows better than my pickups do in 4x4. I use Goodyear g622 tires in the winter.
  10. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have 4 of them, and they all plow. They all happen to be 4x4, diesels though. I do like the weight of them, they don't get moved around as much as a fleet side 250 or 350. Overall, I prefer plowing in my 250 because I have better visibility.

I do have several V-10's, and have never been disappointed in the power. I wouldn't want to tow over the road with them as much as a diesel, but realistically they do just fine for towing loads up to a large skid or excavator around town. It's getting harder and harder to justify the price of a diesel. Especially when you are talking about a fleet of 30-40 trucks.
  11. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I own an 05 f550 stakebody myself and we ran that truck so hard the 4x4 axle (the giant peice of steel underneath the truck) fell off and the half the season I ran that truck because i did not trust my employees driving in 2wd. At one point i used at the salt in the truck so it had no weight in it and at that time i was plowing a flat toys are us and did just fine. Yes the truck slides every 1 in 10 pushes but very minimun. Personally I would purchase that 02-03 f550. You cant beat it have a salter and plow. Mine is regular cab and dont be afraid of the v10, they are monsters, im not sure if yours is gas (mine is) but the gas is quiet but yet very powful and still less expensive then a deisel. I also ran a 9 ft fisher mm2 bu with no spreader.Hope this helped.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Its a great when plowing atleast, towing it is horiffic though.
  13. voyagerxii

voyagerxii Junior Member

I'm surprised so many say the 550 2wd will plow just fine. Sure it will work but when the snow gets deep or the terrain isn't a flat parking lot, its not that great. I use a 550 4x4 and I'll push in 2wd but I'm always throwing it into 4wd to get out of trouble. I would not buy a 2wd knowing I was going to push snow with it.

14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If your axle fell off, I don't think you are going to be driving, period.
  15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

OP, the V10 is an excellent motor. They produce reliable, strong power comparable to a diesel without the extra diesel cost or maintenance. They are known as a bulletproof motor that are at times...thirsty. If I were to buy today, I would demand a V10, and nothing else.
  16. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

Understatement of the year! They pull great I'll give the V10 that, we don't have the digital readouts in our trucks but I burn 15 gallons in a night tugging our two skids around town.. I probably don't drive more than 30 miles :dizzy:
  17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I would not get that truck without 4wd.. At least up here in new enland there are so many hills and twists and turns and wet heavy snow with ice underneath that it is nearly impossible to plow in 2wd.. Even with sanders filled with sand and snow tires. Maybe all commercial or roads only then you would be able to make it around here.

The V10 gets HORRIBLE mileage doing just about anything. Before I started doing my own landscaping I worked with a family member who has a 2005 F250 with the V10 and a small light 14ft landscape trailer with just two walk behinds and one zero turn mower on it, driving VERY easily trying to get the best mileage possible, and we were getting 7-8 mpg. and thats with towing less than 2000 pounds and driving very easily. We switched the trailer and used my truck, F350 Diesel and we got 18. Thats more than double the mileage..