1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-550 or C4500

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Gicon, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Gentlemen Please Help Me. I am coming down to the wire of signing a deal. I am caught up between the F-550 and the C4500. Can someone please help me make this crucial decision. I have been a Ford boy all my life but now I am being open minded to both vehicles....Any words of wisdom will greatly be appretiated. Thank you.....
  2. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

I too was recently at that road. I bought a 4500 crew cab due to the bigger payload. 17,500 versus 16,000 (f550). Also, the 4500 is a bigger truck and in my opinion has a better overall wheelbase and balance. Not to mention it gets attention everywhere I go. The turning radius is also a lot tighter than the 550. So in culdesacs and parking lots, with the f550 you have to keep making k turns, whereas with my 4500 I make one complete turn and on my way.

Hope this helps.
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

f550 is 17500 gvw4x4 19000 gvw 2x4.2005 gives it coil front springs and has improved turning radius also has built in trailer brake controls which chevy does not.The f450has a 15000 gvw
  4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

and the 5500 is 19.5GVW, the truck still turns tighter and it has a better tranny.
  5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

How about your field of view Howard? Better than the X? I'm considering getting rid of the F-550. I saw that International has the new under CDL trucks, the 4100 series I believe, they look nice, but as with anything IH, I'm sure they're trying to get a premium for them.
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Its tough being a Ford boy and dispising Chevy. I have to give credit where credit is due. Chevy turns tighter, and has a shorter wheel base. Visibilty is better. And the truck looks a lot meaner. I kind of have my heart set on the Chevy. Its actually a GMC that I am buying I think....same animal though....
  7. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I used to be ASE cert. auto parts,and auto boby tech. And I would get the FORD.
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Yeah and you like selling the parts and repairing the hood when the 6.0 blows the intercooler line off :drinkup:

I have both a Ford and a GMC. GM is different and in my opinion a great option. The allison, the visibility, the three batteries with 150 amp alternator, the 8k rated front axle, the straight frame, the higher GVW, higher rated tires, More storage space in the cab if you get the 2 place passenger seat, the air ride seat, high idle controlable built right in, spin on tranny filter with a total 6 galllon tranny system capacity....

For $100 bucks I can add a trailer brake controller, and for $200 a switch panel.

If you look at the two, the Ford is a built up pickup, the GM is a down sized medium duty. I was driving around today with the 10' Boss V on drive pavement running errands. The power steering system alone puts the Ford to shame. The Ford struggles with the plow and diesel. Dana 60 in the Ford, Dana super 70 in GM...

Its all speculation till you have both :salute:
  9. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

4x4 for 4x4 the F550 has a higher paylaod 19000 versus 17500. The 4500 is a bigger truck than the F550 wich means the weight of the vehichle is more and thus the pay laod is alot lower than the 550.
    I have an 05 F550 4x4 single cab and it turns sharper than my cousins 3500 dodge. The F550 being smaller makes it easier to drive and manuver especially while plowing. It's got intergrated trailer brake controller, plus intergrated up-fitter switches to be used for lights or other accesories.
    6 speed torq shift....yes from a stop several times I've counted it shifts 5 times. first gear plus 5 more shifts....6 speed. Transmisition brake.
    I forgot to mention I love my 550. :nod:
  10. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

you love your ford?

That just means more Dodges for me!!!

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Funny.. my 5500 and my 550 as chassis cabs weighed withing 160lbs of each other. I have spent a full season in the 5500 here at 10,000 feet, plowing 300+ inches of snow. You truly don't realize how much easier the 5500 is to drive/see. The mirrors do stick out alot more, but I am not taking the 5500 into too many driveways.

Just got to rib you guys... glad you like the 6spds.... when the thing is working. How many guys blew a Ford tranny last year cause a snap ring was missing.
  12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

the tq shift is a 5speed, no question about that. You may be feeling the converter lock up in OD.
  13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The emissions light is on in my 04 Ford. I dont know why I love ford becuase its constantly problems and issues. I really want this gmc 4500.....
  14. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

True...but it feels like 6-speed
  15. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

16. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I have F550 and will tell you that the trannies just dont hold up. When I plow with sander out back, the tranny just heats up way to much, sometimes pissing fluid out of front seal. This happen when you do alot of shifting back and fourth. I get at most two years out of the tranny. My extended warranty will be up next year. I will be looking at the 5500 chevy or international 4100. I am hoping Dodge will come out with a 5500 cab chassis. I hear rumors Dodge may come out with this.
  17. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Chevy is a medium duty built down, 550 is a light duty built up....go with the chevy
  18. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

go with the GMC. I plow with a 5500. I used to drive a F-550 plowing. The 5500 is easier to see out of, heavier built, turns tighther, and has a real transmission in it!
  19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

never driven the chevy but i can say that with our 2000 f550 4x4 we tow around our 23,000 lb tractor and never had any problems. with truck, aux fuel tank, steel trailer, and tractor we gross close to 40,000lb
  20. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

We have the same problem, have had Ford but the Chevy/GMC's have a good spec. Has anyone tried the 5500 with the 26,000 gvw? I am curious how the ride is with it. What type of fuel mileage is common? How about towing? Am curious because around here noboby has one yet.