1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f-550 or 3500 hd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by slade, Jul 9, 2006.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

Which is built better and will last longer. I'm looking at replacing a work truck with one of these, probably around a 2000 model. All input is appreciated.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The 550 will have better power and 4 wheel drive. The 15,000gvw 3500hd is a decent truck but power is not the same if you get one with a diesel compared to the 7.3 powerstroke. Gas motors the 7.4 is a good motor and the Ford would have the V10 which is fine as well.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the 550 by far. they are the best commercial plow trucks. has a 6000 lb axle for big snow plows.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the 550 thats just me

5. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Can't say I would ever own another 550 watch the egt's and trans temp. They are designed to destroy themselves on the highway.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

kodiak 4500 all the way, dont 2nd guess. ford cant build a good 550. they arent meant to work hard. same motor and tranny as 350. i own a ford personally and love it, but it doesnt work hard.

Kodiak 4500 or 5500, no questions about it

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Kodiack with 4 wheel drive

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, I believe they bumped the rating up to 7K in '05.

If you're going to look at a 550, why wouldn't you tell him to look at a 5500 instead of a 4500. That is even better than a 4500, for probably not much more money.

I've heard some not so good things from someone who owns a 5500, but I would be looking at one if I was in the market for that size truck. I currently have 2 550's, both have had the tranny's repaired from the crappy snap ring that Ford installed. One is having some injector issues, the other has been no problem.

I wouldn't say the 550 is designed to destroy itself. Did you get the right gear ratio for highway driving? Maybe that was the issue and not the truck itself.

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Factory, not altered stock truck.

10. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

the f550 all the way my has 3 of them with 8.5 ft western on them never had a problem plowing .i like the diesel engine and performance real strong truck would never by a chevy has no weight body is too light .ford trucks all the way
    86 f350 mason dump 8.5 ft western uni mount
    05 f250 8ft western pro plow
    96 f250 7.5ft western pro plow

11. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

I'm glad the f-550 is quote strong hope they didn't overrate that too. I know they are sure having alot of problems with the frames on the escapes and the f-150's. The F-150's aren't even leaving the plant before the frame bends. Just like the 1997 extended cabs.

12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

TNT what is it with you and your constant bashing????? How on earth do the frames bend before they even leave the plant? I am really starting to belive that you just aren't happy unless you are :yow!: over something.:drinkup:

13. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Sorry but The facts are there I think everyone should know all corners that ford cuts plastic wheel bearings, overrated mustangs, frames bending and doors not latching and employees paid 2x to work saturdays and open doors claycomo plant looking for bent frames, and in 1997 at claycomo plant Richards Gabareau air base mandatory overtime to chaeck frames. The first blackwoods were the biggest joke. I think FORD has gotten away with too many things and needs to be closed, or held responcible for their shortcuts.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  14. Big Dog D

What are you smokin Dude ???????

If all you are going to do is spew rubbish and Bash why don't you try another site. Maybe chroniccomplainers.com or unsubstantiatedstories.com or bashersrus.net

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  15. Mark Oomkes

Must be really good or really bad, depending on how you look at it. :dizzy: :dizzy:

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would tell you to drive both and pick which one YOU like and the one that YOU think will work the best. Both are good trucks IMO

17. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Sorry maybe I should hide my head in the sand, and smoke some of what you are smoking in there. And screw everyone that is not aware. If your child, or loveone was riding with a friend and got in a accident and couldn't get out because the frame was not showning signs of weakness at the plant and the doors opened on the right day. (How borderline is this frame?) Knowing they didn't care about your safety. And you heard this and you didn't check into it because you didn't want to hear the facts and they were caused serious harm. I pray you could sleep alright. You have been warned no more( bashing). Sorry if I offended you, but I have family and friends and neighbors who work there and I think you should know the facts.

18. Mark Oomkes

TNT, didn't your mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all? Take Big Dog's advice, go someplace where they will listen to all your bitching, this is a plowing forum, not a bitching forum.

19. Big Dog D

Show me one credible story or report on this and I will no longer think that you are one of the long lost members of The Traveling Dingelberries!:drinkup:

20. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

once again i speek from experience as i spoke about the f 550. i have a 1997 crew cab f 350 psd 96k miles, towed a heavy work trailer around many miles and hauled my workers to many job sites and the ONLY thing i have replaced on it are ball joints, tires, and batteries. not too bad for ten years of service.