1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Snow-Kid, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I am thinking of buying a 05 F-350 5.4L Reg. Cab fx4 and was wondering if the 5.4 would be enough engine for plowing and pulling a trailer. Just wondering because i just heard that ford redesigned them or something. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not. Also does the F-350 5.4 get about the same gas mileage as a F-250 5.4 gets, that is what I have now and plan on trading up this spring.

2. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

My F350 plows great with the 5.4 its only a 04 though. I'm not sure if they changed them or not. I have not had to pull any kind of trailers yet. My father has a 01 F250 and we get about the same gas milage. That all changes when I'm plowing though, then it sucks it up!!

3. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

I will be fine for plowing, but how much trailer do you plan on pulling? Have a 01 f250 with the 5.4 in it, and I personally think its pretty nutless when it comes to pulling anything substantial. As mentioned above, gas mileage will really suffer when plowing. We also have a 97 350 with the 460 in it, and average around 3-4 mpg when plowing. Do you need the increased payload of the f350, or just want to have one? As for gas mileage, both the 250 and 350 should average the same.

4. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well I currently own a 01 F-250 with a 5.4L but it only has a 7.6 boss poly plow on it. I would like to get a 9.2 boss v-plow, and I plan on getting either a 05 250 of 350. I do limited towing for the lawn company I work for right now. But in the future I would start small landscaping on the side and then a need for towing a trailer. The only reel reason I am looking to trade to a new truck is that my truck has 90,000 miles on it and want to trade it in before a lot of major stuff goes wrong with it. Plus my uncle works at ford assembly plant and I would get the A plan.

5. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Well if you plan on putting a 9.2 boss on it, it won't matter what front end you have, as long as you get the plow prep, they'll both have the same front end. I personally would get the 350, as its only a few hundred bucks more, and the payload increases greatly. So I would pick out a 350 if I were paying for the truck. 90,000 miles isn't a whole lot of miles in this day and age. Are you just starting out? If I were just starting out, I would want as little overhead/payments as possible, and if your 01 is paid for, I think I would continue running it, but thats just my opinion. I personally am looking at a 2000 f350 7.3l diesel, ext cab long box with 107,000 miles on it, and I don't even have any doubts that I'll sell the truck before the engine gives up, but a diesel has a greater life expentancy as you know. Anyways, if you can afford the new truck, I would go with the 350, only a few hundred bucks more, and legal to carry a lot more weight.

6. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Thanks for the info dieselgeek I have been plowing for 3 years and would like to get into more commercial plowing. As i stated before I will be going through the A plan through Ford and will be trading my truck so really be getting a new truck for not as much money. And maybe in the future if the accounts come along I would thank of getting a salt spreader for it.

7. PPP

PPP Member

You should consider the new v-10 it's only a $600 upgrade instead of a 5k deisel. It was night and day difference between the 5.4 and 6.8 v-10.If you take one for a test drive you'll never want another v-8 again. I just ordered one myself and was torn between the 350 and 250, but I opted to take the $1,300 difference and get the 250 with a few extra options. I can't wait for it to come in so I can retire my 17 year old GMC.For the 05/06 year there is almost no difference between the two. Just spec them out on Fords website or go to the Ford Truck Enthusiest web page and see the difference for yourself. The F-350 had a slightly higher payload, sat 2 inches higher in the rear and has 18 in wheels. There are some subtle differences in the options offered. Same mechanically in just about every manner. Good Luck, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Starting with the 05 model year the new Ford is about the most heavy duty truck out there for the best value IMO. :)

8. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

One thing that you might want to check into is the differance with insurance prices between an F-250 and F-350. I had a 95 F-250 4X4 extcab then traded it for my 97 F-350 and insurance went up $50 a month, just because it was a F-350. Most insurance companys consider the F-350 a commercial vehicle since it is a 1 ton and that means higher insurance rates. But now I get a mutiple vehicle discount, mutiple policy commercial discount. And since my trucks have to run DOT scales I need the F-350's for the extra GVW, but if I didn't have to run the scales all the time I would just buy the F-250 since they are basically the same truck. The only differance that I know of is that the F-350 has bigger blocks under the rear springs. Just something that you may want to look at.

9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I would get the diesel.............

10. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

It would have plenty of power to plow. Pulling a trailer it just depends on what u wanna pull. I have a 2003 F 350 wiith the 5.4 liter. It plows snow fine. When it comes to pulling a trailer it ok and just ok. When I pulled my friends bobcat S250 It feels weak. Getting up to speed takes a while and you feel and hear the engine laboer. I recently drove a 2005 F 350 at the dealer. It feels like a whole new engine. Way more BALLS. Also keep in mind my personal truck is a 2004 Ford F350 Diesel so I do most of my towing with it. NO gas engine compares with a Diesel when it comes to pulling weight.

11. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Thanks for all of the reply's. I was thinking about a diesel but could not justify to pay $5,000 more plus i do not put that many miles on my truck a year. I only drive 3 or 4 miles to work every day and that is round trip. So a diesel I don't think is for me. I was looking at a V10 but not to sure about the mpg. Some are saying the get really good like better then my 5.4l and others i read on the Internet say they are terrible on gas so I am not really sure?

12. sd350

sd350 Junior Member

F350 with 5.4

just want to say i run a 99 f350 with a 5.4 & i have had the 9'2 boss straight blade on plus 8' spreader plus towing a tandem axle trailer with 2 skids of salt on it 30bags at 80 pounds per bag per skid---no problem :drinkup:

13. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Man SD350 you sure do work that truck don't you. But that is what you buy a truck for to work it, if you didn't work them then you would have gotten a car. :)

14. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I forgot to ask this in my beginning post but does that tranny recall on 04 and 05 models include all trannys or just the ones with the diesel engine?

15. E&B

E&B Member

I have a 2003 F350 V-10 and it gets 12-14 mpg without the plow or spreader on it. When I put those on it drops to 8-10 and while plowing I get 4-5. A friend of mine has the same truck with the 5.4 and he gets worse milage than me doing the same work and his truck has no balls. The stock V-10 actually has more horsepower than the diesel. I'm doing the same research as you, I'm ordering a 2005 F-350 Diesel this month, I've checked into it a lot and with the diesels better fuel economy the extra 5k would pay for itself in about 2 years with the amount of driving I do. So I guess to sum it up, if you want gas, go V-10 if you want longevity do diesel.