1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 with Ambulance Package

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TAUGC, Oct 28, 2007.

1. TAUGC

TAUGC Junior Member
    from 07094

Hello I was wondering if anyone had any advice on putting a plow on a 1995 F350 with a ambulance package. Its a extemely heavy truck approx. GVW of 15k with dullie and heavy suspension packkage. Is this a feasbale appication.

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

So was it an ambulance before you got it? I know that anything w/o that package CANNOT be an ambulace. I don't see why one couldn't be a plow truck. Like you said it should have everything heavy duty seeing as ambulances have very hard lives. A 95 has been out of warranty for a while so what could it hurt. It is a heavy duty diesel truck so I'd do it, Good luck!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

But is it 2 wheel drive?

4. captfudd

captfudd Member

I manage a fleet of ambulances of which I have 2 1995 F350's 1 four wheel drive and 1 2 wheel drive they are without a doubt the 2 costliest vehicles we have to keep on the road

The motor is great, but the transmissions suck they both have about 105,000 and have been totally rebuilt 2 times and if memory serves me correct the torque converters have been done on the 4 wheel drive unit 2 times.

The rear suspension is crap, we have had to the spring shop etc

In my 16 years of beeing in the plow business I wouldnt buy anything that was formerly an ambulance for the simple fact of reliability and cost of upkeep.

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i guess we can add ambulances to the list with police cars on the never to buy list

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It depends on the company too. Our Ambulances are kept repaired and serviced right up to the point they go on a flat bed and go bye - bye. They also use all OEM parts, rebuilt transmissions from FoMoCo, whole axle assemblies. Drums and rotors are never machined <---just replaced. They have 1or 2 transmissions sitting in the shipping cases waiting to be installed at all times.They have that job down pat!